Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

getting toddler to eat... my way?

(7 Posts)
cornishglos Wed 13-Jan-16 21:34:29

My ds is just 2 and eats very little. There are no foods he refuses, he just has a very small appetite. He loves fruit and anything sweet, but can take or leave the rest. He doesn't have a favourite meal. He will eat a lot at breakfast time but lunch and dinner are very hit-and-miss.

He is very active, bright, cheerful, developing well, and following his centile line (2nd since weaning, 25th before that).

He is small and he is vegetarian (we all are). Family keep making comments about how little he eats, and I made a resolution to 'sort it out' in the New Year.

Before this we were quite relaxed. I thought if meals weren't stressful and no foods were banned he might enjoy food more. We don't have unhealthy snacks in the house and eat really well. He ate most meals in the kitchen, but some in the lounge and some 'on the go'. There were not set times for meals.

So in the New Year I've tried to set meal times, have no snacks, and make him eat at the table, in the hope that he eat more. All he's done is refuse most meals and got very shouty and upset with me.

Can anyone advise? Should I stick to the new regime? Be more relaxed? Trust myself more? I'm sure some of you have tips for what worked with your DCs, but part of the problem I think, is that I stopped trusting my instincts and started listening to family. Should I go back to being more relaxed or be more consistent? I'm confused and stressed about it all, as I want him healthy!

Thanks.

00100001 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:36:43

What's to sort out?

He eats a good range of food.

He's (presumably) not under weight or malnourished?

He's 2.

Maybe have set meals at the table - snacks wherever.

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jan-16 21:37:39

If you were happy enough with it before Christmas then go back to that. Sounds like it was less stressful before you started to 'sort it out'

janethegirl2 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:39:42

Just relax, put a little food on his plate and put the rest on the table in bowls, pots, whatever and let him ask for more if he wants it. Eating should not be a fight. But don't let him snack between meals, or eat crap between meals. Crap can be given after he has eaten the main course if you do wish.

Pointlessfan Wed 13-Jan-16 21:40:23

We have main meals at the table, snacks wherever. Could that be a good compromise.
I'm thinking "if it ain't broke don't fix it" though, maybe he just has a smaller appetite.

cornishglos Wed 13-Jan-16 21:42:53

Thank you all. I'm so glad I asked. So reassuring. I was happy before, but wish he ate a bit more that's all as his portions sizes are so small.

00100001 Thu 14-Jan-16 09:47:38

Is he growing?
Is he healthy?

If yes, if he only eats a small amount, that's not a problem. Some people just eat a little. smile

You'll be eating your words when he gets his growth spurts and is a teenager grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now