Talk

Advanced search

breastmilk intolerance and wind

(6 Posts)
littleblackdress26 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:06:34

Hi I'm just wondering how likely is it that my baby 9 weeks old could have an intolerance to something in my breastmilk?
From week 3 onwards she's been suffering with very bad wind then it stopped nt completely but I was giving gripe water a lot less; she also had a slight rash on her face which the Dr said was due to excess sebum nothing to worry about i asked two different Dr's and they said the same, this also went.
Now this week the wind has come back as well as the rash I dnt know if they're just a coincidence both of them coming back around the same time or they're just different things. Does wind normally tail off and then come back?
I've been racking my brains trying to think about what I've eaten and the only thing I can think of is eggs I had a lot this weekend gone and before that I had stopped could she have an intolerance to eggs or am I over thinking?

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jan-16 21:39:27

Dairy?

0phelia Wed 13-Jan-16 22:06:12

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking there is something "wrong" in your breast milk. It's highly unlikely your newborn is intolerant to dairy in your breastmilk.

Rash is normal. Wind is normal.

Babies are born with an undeveloped digestive system. They cry a lot, they need to feed every 2 hours, Your breasts need to catch up with your baby's demand... All of this leads to lots of crying, waking in the night... Your baby is still a newborn! You really shouldn't be feeding gripe water or anything other than milk.

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jan-16 22:12:29

kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/

Topsy34 Thu 14-Jan-16 02:15:09

How about keep a food diary and then go from there? With ds1, i drank alot of cows milk, and he was definitely fussier and windier that day, inswitched to lactofree and almond and he was much better, interestingly though he never has had an intolerance to cows milk directly once introduced it later on on cereal etc

Sleepybunny Thu 14-Jan-16 02:32:31

Is your baby fussy when feeding too? I know when mine is going through a growth spurt she fusses a lot and ends up swallowing air, resulting in wind and very grumpy baby.

In the early weeks it can seem like periods of prolonged quite intense grumpiness!

I wonder if you watch her for a few days and see how her behaviour changes you mind find things change on their own. Babies are so changeable!

The excess sebum thing sounds like baby acne rather than diet related. I could be wrong of course. The best way to check would be to do a 'dairy challange. Cut out dairy for 4-6weeks, see what improves and then have dairy and assess the wind/rash situation.

Gripe water is good for getting wind up. Suitable from birth and gentle on the tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now