Talk

Advanced search

What does your 3 yr old sit on at the dining table?

(20 Posts)
Millionprammiles Tue 12-Jan-16 15:00:40

3yr old dd (on the short side) sits in a booster seat strapped to a normal dining chair, she can't reach the table properly without it. She has to be lifted in and out though (she's tried using a two step ladder to climb in but its a bit tricky and not hugely safe tbh).

I'd prefer something she can safely get in and out of herself but that doesn't cost the earth (I'm looking at you tripp-trapp - have tried ebay a few times but either been outbid or would have had to drive 200 miles to collect.).

Also would like something compact, the beauty of the booster seat is it takes up no more room than the dining chair.

V interested to hear what other people use...fear I'm missing something ingenious...

nephrofox Tue 12-Jan-16 15:03:00

We use this without the tray, so sits up to table

www.kiddicare.com/p/East_Coast_Multi_Height_Highchair_in_Natural.htm?product_id=723670&utm_source=pla&affiliate=PLA&gclid=CMHmoLfFpMoCFQQUwwodrFMD3w

xalyssx Tue 12-Jan-16 15:03:27

My 1 year old sits at the table on a normal dining chair with a cushion.

CaptainMorgansMistress Tue 12-Jan-16 15:08:30

IKEA do a couple of different styles of extra tall small chairs. I like them because they are stable enough for DC to climb onto on their own but light enough for them to move if they need.

m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/functional/10369/18733/

5minutestobed Tue 12-Jan-16 15:10:55

My two tear old just sits on a normal dining chair with a cushion, he uses the little Ikea white step to get up.

Headmelt Tue 12-Jan-16 15:15:18

I had a small plastic chair (the nursery size) so dc sat at the coffee table until big enough to sit at the kitchen table on a big chair. My dc (3) gains a lot of independence by using her plastic step (the one advertised for toilet training iyswim).

Millionprammiles Tue 12-Jan-16 15:34:49

Thanks all.
We tried the cushion option, dd needed two and it wasn't very stable (she slid off). She couldn't climb up herself with the cushions on the chair either (but she can climb up on the chair if there are no cushions, she couldn't get a proper grip, if that makes sense).

I like the look of the IKEA one - is it safe to climb up into using the chair itself? Is it quite sturdy?

Am trying to avoid anything that looks like a highchair, am hoping to get something that sort of blends in...

We might need to persevere with the step ladder. I just feel bad making mealtimes an obstacle course!

KP86 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:43:44

There are a heap of knock off stokkes around, (a friend has one) but I don't know what they are called.

poocatcherchampion Tue 12-Jan-16 15:45:23

We use the step option. They love it!

RoganJosh Tue 12-Jan-16 15:47:39

We have the ikea chair. Three actually. They're sturdy and easy enough to get up to.

Mrsmulder Tue 12-Jan-16 15:49:28

We have the ikea junior chairs too, my 2 year old climbs up on it no problem.

PurpleTraitor Tue 12-Jan-16 15:49:29

My 3yo is small but sits on a normal chair without a cushion and doesn't have a step, has been since about 2nd birthday.

Before that though we had the IKEA higher up chair as above. But I am trying to envisage what type of dining chairs would need a step!

Mrsmulder Tue 12-Jan-16 15:50:52

And yes, they are very sturdy. I sit on it sometimes and I am not little!

blamethecat Tue 12-Jan-16 15:51:51

Ikea junior chair here, reasonably sturdy and he hasn't fallen off it yet.

Millionprammiles Tue 12-Jan-16 16:19:59

I think I need to make a trip to IKEA for that chair, possibly with dd in tow if I can face it so she can try it out.

Dd can climb on to our dining chairs fine but once on them can't really reach the table very well, its bit higher than average, its a bit of a stretch to eat properly, especially messy food like soup or cereal etc.

Am all for a nice IKEA cheapie - thanks all!

Varya Tue 12-Jan-16 16:22:53

Has her own table, and chair handed down through generations.

KP86 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:51:21

Here's a link to the knock off stokke

Design Highchair - with two seat cushion S-Line nature https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GINL6ZQ/ref=cmsww_rawdd_cSuLwbHTF5ZB2

BertieBotts Tue 12-Jan-16 18:54:18

Used to use the Fisher Price healthy care booster. Was good smile

minipie Wed 13-Jan-16 09:54:38

Ikea Junior chair here too. DD can get onto it by herself but she needs it pushing in towards the table once she is up iyswim.

FreeButtonBee Wed 13-Jan-16 09:59:18

My (not big) almost 3 yos just go on their knees on an ordinary chair. They do have a little toddler table which they use for most meals - so it's really only lunch and dinner at the weekend and the odd lunch with me mid week at the dining table.

Although once the baby starts weaning I think we will all use the big table

Crouching on knees is not ideal but is really only needed for spoon able stuff- finger food or forkable stuff they can just see over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now