Talk

Advanced search

Sitting at the dinner table

(5 Posts)
mytimewillcome Sun 10-Jan-16 21:37:26

My two boys who are 5 and 3 cannot sit and eat dinner calmly without getting up, running around, shouting. Any tips or am I expecting too much? It makes everytime we sit down to dinner quite stressful. They seem fine at school and nursery and when they are on their own. Thanks.

BackforGood Mon 11-Jan-16 00:03:45

I would reiterate that once they get down, they will be deemed to have left the table and there's no more dinner. IME, boys don't like missing out on food. Just be really clear, and really calm and stick to it (they won't starve for missing a meal)

GotABitTricky Sat 23-Jan-16 21:58:26

My new year resolution is to sit at dinner table nightly. 5 year old tended to run about but habit now is to sit and eat . She needs ask "please may I leave the table" when we all finished eating, otherwise food is removed.

Tv off. Older kid mobile phone left in other room. Gives chance for chat about their day also.

slebmum1 Sat 23-Jan-16 22:19:13

Not optional in our house. Work means we can't do it during the week but Saturday lunch and Sunday dinner we all sit together.

It's not a Walton like affair without stress but they have to sit while we eat.

meringue33 Sat 23-Jan-16 22:20:30

Have you tried bribes ie dessert is only if you sit nicely and finish dinner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now