Gah daily battle with teeth brushing

(9 Posts)
alliemarg Sat 09-Jan-16 20:04:11

My daughter has always been reluctant to let us brush her teeth, she'll take the brush and chew it but hates us brushing. Now she's getting older (15 months) it's a flat out refusal with mouth clamped shut, kicking and pushing the brush away. It's almost impossible to force her thanks to the combination of all of that and I don't want it to spiral into hating teeth brushing as a result. Any tips/suggestions on how to make it better? I'm paranoid she'll have rotten teeth at this rate!

FusionChefGeoff Sat 09-Jan-16 20:05:29

We turned it round with an app - Aquafresh have a good one with a silly dancing man and she's only allowed to watch if teeth brushing is happening. Also times it to make sure you are doing long enough.

Good luck?

minipie Sat 09-Jan-16 22:00:27

15 months was a turning point for us. Started to play a game called "which animal is hiding in your mouth tonight" - chase imaginary animal around the teeth. Magical transformation. Might not work for yours but try different games and see if one of them catches her imagination.

alliemarg Sun 10-Jan-16 18:24:54

Super, thanks for the tips!

FusionChefGeoff Mon 11-Jan-16 00:19:21

Just remembered we also did 'shall we brush your tummy?' 'Shall we brush your nose?' Until he said 'no mummy, you brush my teeth!'

EasilyFreudened Mon 11-Jan-16 00:31:18

Fusion thanks for the suggestion...DS2(4) is still butting heads with us over teeth brushing. Even a trip to the dentist didn't work.

ODog Mon 11-Jan-16 06:59:15

My 19mo has si proved a bit since we got him a baby electric toothbrush for Xmas. Still not keen but not point blank refusing,

IfItIsntOkItIsntTheEnd Mon 11-Jan-16 07:02:30

At about that age we used to take turns - brush dc teeth, then brush soft toys teeth etc. Make as fun as possible . Try not to push too much, as better they don't start hating it any more than you can help!

Mimosa1 Tue 12-Jan-16 21:46:55

My daughter likes to "help" brush my teeth first. Perhaps that could help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now