Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training DS

(7 Posts)
Bananice Sat 09-Jan-16 06:42:34

Silly question: DS, 3yo, has been completely toilet trained during the day for 6 months +. However, he still sits down to wee. When do people teach them to stand up to do it?? I am fine with him sitting down (it's much tidier!) but don't want him to be teased at nursery if sitting isn't really the done thing. As an added complication, unlike the usual reputation of little boys, he hates touching his penis, so will really need encouragement if we are going to teach him to wee standing up...

Topsy34 Sat 09-Jan-16 08:29:37

Ds was probably 4 or a little more before he started attempting it. I know some people won't agree but we let him practice in the shower and garden, and then the toilet.

He doesn't hold his penis to go, he told me it means he doesn't have to wash his hands 🙄 (But he does obviously!)

loveyoutothemoon Sat 09-Jan-16 21:32:12

I would just let him do it his way for now. He (and you) have very recently overcome one of the biggest challenges (learning not to wee in a nappy). Let him decide for himself when he wants to wee standing up. At some point he'll want to copy others and be a 'big boy'. It's unlikely he'll be teased at nursery anyway.

jeavcike Sun 10-Jan-16 03:03:33

As I recall, my ds used to sit on the toilet for wees for months after potty training (he was nearly 3 when he gave up nappies).

I used to occasionally just mention that bigger boys and men stand up to wee and point their willies into the toilet. One day he just did it off his own back - I think he'd seen his mate at nursery do it.

Your ds will probably do it if/when he feels ready (not all men do stand up; there are some grown men who sit down to wee) so I'd suggest to just mention in passing about other boys standing up but otherwise leave him to it.

Bananice Mon 11-Jan-16 10:09:41

Fab, thanks all for the replies. Will leave all as-is until he starts wanting to try it himself smile

Artandco Mon 11-Jan-16 10:13:03

Mine both still sit at home as does Dh. At school they stand I think. So they obviously pick up what to do ok.

Our doctor once said they recommend they sit for at least two years as it encourages them to empty Bowels at the same time also. If they just stand and wee and go they can get constipated easier when small

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jan-16 10:16:25

Da is 7 and stil sits down. I think he stands for the urinals at school. I mention standing up wees to him ft time to time. He says he does them sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now