Talk

Advanced search

dummy and breastfeeding

(14 Posts)
bunny85 Fri 08-Jan-16 12:48:43

Hello

My baby is 7 weeks old and is a bad sleeper. We tried a dummy for the first time yesterday and seems like he really calmed down, it helps him unwind so easily. But if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, isn't it? Maybe it's in my mind, but I think his sucking has changed a bit (he's BF). He doesn't open as wide and spits out the nipple more often. Sucks for much shorter periods of time now too. Is it in my mind because I'm so scared of it? Or is there a real danger he can get confused and struggle to latch on properly? Would love to hear if anyone had similar experience.

WhetherOrNot Fri 08-Jan-16 16:38:34

No danger he can get confused. I think it's all in your mind tbh.

HeadDreamer Fri 08-Jan-16 16:40:51

He's already 7 week, I don't think he'll get confused, would he?

FWIW, I know of one bf mum who used a dummy with her first. He's a very sucky baby.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:41:46

I've been told (by midwife) that nipple confusion is nonsense. His feeding pattern could just be changing as he grows?

Tatie3 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:44:53

I think at 7 weeks old it's unlikely to be nipples confusion. I remember feeling very unsure and emotional about giving breastfed DS2 a dummy but it helped so much.

HappyHeart87 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:47:36

I agree with other posters. By 7 weeks bf will be well established so baby won't be confused between nipple & dummy.

LaurieLemons Fri 08-Jan-16 16:51:28

Nonsense. Enjoy your dummy!

bunny85 Fri 08-Jan-16 17:53:58

Thanks everyone! I'm almost finding it hard to believe there can be peace and quite in the house when I'm not holding him! Amazing invention this dummy is grin

bunny85 Fri 08-Jan-16 17:55:04

*quiet

Pompomparty Fri 08-Jan-16 18:25:48

I cried when we first gave dd a dummy at 4 weeks, felt so weird to watch her suck something that wasn't my boob, what a pfb knob! grin
But she really needed it, it's such a comfort to her, she sucks while she's even in a deep sleep. No nipple confusion, I do start to wonder if nipple confusion is a myth actually hmm.

MrsPatrickDempsey Fri 08-Jan-16 18:34:27

Hi I am a midwife and a hv and I don't believe in nipple confusion either! If it has helped, go for it!

austengirl Sun 10-Jan-16 00:14:10

We gave our 8 week bf baby a dummy at one month and it does help soothe him at times. No issues with bf, he just likes to sucking. smile

whatsoever Sun 10-Jan-16 01:11:04

I gave my bf son a dummy at 2 weeks (he cried A LOT before that, it was no miracle cure but it helped) and I honestly think the NHS advice about waiting 6 weeks in case of nipple confusion is bullshit.

Already bought dummies for as yet unborn baby, who I'm also planning to bf.

bunny85 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:01:21

Great, thanks ladies for the reassurance! Don't know who enjoys the dummy more now me or ds grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now