Talk

Advanced search

my baby wants holding constantly!!

(13 Posts)
nicg85 Thu 07-Jan-16 14:16:27

She's 10 weeks old and I can't put her down without her screaming. She'll go in her bouncy chair for 10 mins max and then starts to cry. She won't even entertain her play mat even if I entertain her with toys. Earlier I laid her on her changing mat. She likes to lay without a nappy on but today she just cried and cried. I was trying to light our open fire so I just left her to cry for about 10 mins whilst I finished what I was doing.
Do you think I'm wrong to do this?
I know she needs to learn that she can't be held all the time but should I leave her to cry or is she too young yet ?

Thanks

AIN Thu 07-Jan-16 14:30:47

Too young to be crying for 10 mins. Ok if you just have to quickly do something but that's a long time for a baby. How about a sling so she can come with you most places then you can have your hands free to do what you like.

nicg85 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:23:14

Thought so. Now I gel so bad letting her cry sad I'm going to get a sling. Thanks for your reply.

RJnomore1 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:25:31

Don't feel bad. Were you talking to her etc while you were working on the fire? Honestly, ten minutes crying is not a big deal although some people will use it as a stick to beat you (and themself) with.

BrumpyGollocks Thu 07-Jan-16 15:30:47

The best thing I ever had was one of those baby swings, it was like magic !

My baby was exactly the same,couldn't put him down at all,I hadn't even managed to eat a full meal until we got the swing as a gift,only wish I'd had one for my first DC.

Blerg Thu 07-Jan-16 15:32:44

Could it be lying down / wind related?

Rebeccaelizabethxo Thu 07-Jan-16 15:34:18

I'm in the same boat !! She's just 7 weeks and is a clingy little thing. But I just think to myself she won't always want to be as close as this to me.

How are you managing the nights ? Will she sleep in her own space ?

SweetAdeline Thu 07-Jan-16 15:38:25

Mine was the same but grew out of it by 3.5months and has been really content since. His sister was the opposite way round. I think in ds's case it was wind related and he was just much more comfortable being cuddled.

nicg85 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:49:55

Yeah I was talking to her the whole time whilst sorting the fire but she still cried.
I don't think lying down is the issue as she's like it when sat up in her chair. And so far she has been fine with bringing wind up.
Night time she will sleep fine in her Moses basket as long as she is in a deep sleep when I put her down.
She had her jabs on Monday so maybe she's being clingy because of that.
Think I will get a sling and will certainly have a look at a swing.
Thanks guys xx

Rebeccaelizabethxo Thu 07-Jan-16 15:53:17

Well you have one over me there! My lo will only sleep on my chest! 😁

MaGratgarlik1983 Thu 07-Jan-16 18:25:31

Pretty normal I think. My DS is almost 5 months now and he'll go through phases of being able to play on the playmat or jumperoo for a little while by himself but then he'll cry for a cuddle and some days he just wants to be held more. I have a couple of friends whose babies are about a month older and separation anxiety is kicking in big time so they cry when you leave the room etc. TBH I sometimes have to let my LO cry for a few mins if I'm going to get anything done but not any more than that. And if I have to wash his bottles or something I just take him in his sit me up chair into the kitchen with me. And a carrier helps so much!!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 07-Jan-16 20:27:59

My LO was the same for the first couple of months. It will pass. Wait till she starts cradling around! She'll be itching to get of your knee.

my dp had long paternity leave (well saved annual leave) so we took turns so we could get things done when she was particularly needy but had have heard slings are a god send.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Jan-16 20:54:51

She just wants and needs to be close to you! It's quite normal. You need to be patient. Don't leave her To cry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now