Talk

Advanced search

Is your child a whiner? how do you deal with it?

(4 Posts)
Luna9 Wed 06-Jan-16 18:17:57

My 5 year dd is a world champion whiner when she gets upset about something or is denied something she wants, she whines non stop or start saying things like I don't like you, you don't love me, you are not the right mummy (only when I have got really upset at her)., etc. I really don't know how to stop that behaviour; if gets on everybody's nerves. My oldest one and my dh try to solve the problem which doesn't help

Any advice or technique you have found effective with your child will be greatly appreciated. I find this behaviour so upsetting.

OnceAMeerNotAlwaysAMeer Wed 06-Jan-16 18:33:36

Yes I have a whiner. He's really good at the 'you don't love me' line too.

I ask him to repeat whatever he was saying in a normal tone of voice, and if necessary actually say whatever-it-was myself in a normal tone to give him the example.

Then when he repeats it, I answer it. "it's not fair!" with something like 'well I think it is, this is the reason" or sometimes "life isn't, sometimes, I'm afraid". If it's the I dont Love Him thing, I reply "yes, I do. But that still doesn't mean you can do/get <whatever>" or "I'm afraid I'm the only mummy you have".

Then try distraction.

if he's determined and it goes on and on and on and on, then sometimes I do get to the pont of saying "i don't want to hear it" and if he still goes on, I suggest that he goes and reads in his room or plays in his room until he's willing to talk about something else.

minipie Wed 06-Jan-16 20:04:43

"I don't listen to/don't understand you when you talk in a whiny voice"

Repeat every time she does it and refuse to answer till she talks normally...

That's the theory anyway smile

Luna9 Wed 06-Jan-16 21:53:09

Thank you for the advice; I will put them in practice and persevere; I hope she will eventually get the message; this whining and baby talking is quite annoying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now