Talk

Advanced search

What to feed him first?

(5 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Tue 05-Jan-16 16:26:11

LO is going to be 5m in couple of days, however I started on farleys rusk on Sunday and he absolutely loved it.

Just read loads about how should have started with veg or fruit.

Can anyone suggest what I should introduce in this case & how many times a day? (Once/twice)

RoganJosh Tue 05-Jan-16 16:28:32

We did roast carrot sticks at one meal for a few days, then went with lots of other stuff, roast potato sticks next I think. Then when I could be bothered, at maybe ten days, added another meal in.
We always went for breadsticks rather than rusks, tried to avoid sugar where possible.

MrsMum2011 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:04:50

We did purées to start with as that worked for us and introduced finger foods when he was about 6/7 months.
We started with puréed pears and apples and moves to carrots and root vegetables.
We enjoyed Annabelle Karmell recipes and a very helpful nook and at first to keep his tummy ok did one meal and introduced a different food every couple of days so his tummy could get used to it.

BisherBasherBosher Tue 05-Jan-16 19:15:32

If your baby is not showing the signs he is ready to be weaned (see my post in your sleep thread) and you would still like to give solids, you will need need to do purees not finger foods. Finger foods are only suitable when your baby is showing the signs that he is ready to be weaned at around six months.

I would give veg first so he gets used to savoury flavours and doesn't get a sweet tooth. It may take a few goes for him to take to the veg, as formula is quite sweet so that's what he's used to.

youlemming Tue 05-Jan-16 20:37:03

Things like sweet potato, butternut squash, potato and carrot are good to start with. Try them individually at first then you can mix together.
Some veg is a little bitter on its own like broccoli so I mix that with sweet potato.

Apple can be very sweet on its own and babies can development a preference for it so I mix with normal mash potato, it also helps give the bland potato more flavour.

Annabel Karmel is great, I have 2 of her books and they show an example meal planner covering 4 weeks building up from first foods to moving to 3 meals a day. Worth checking out her website as well.

I would avoid rusks, they don't really give any nutritional value and are just full of sugar, even the reduced sugar ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now