Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a good breastfeeding book?

(11 Posts)
goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 03-Jan-16 12:17:13

I'm 8 months pregnant and I plan to BF, but am concerned I will find it difficult. I bought "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by La Leche League and was horrified at the amount of "earth mother" misinformation peddled by it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, practical, non-judgey breastfeeding book?

tiktok Sun 03-Jan-16 17:29:12

Not sure the womanly art has misinformation in it - are you looking at a very old edition? It might be a bit earth mothery for some though, I can see that.

Try Babycalming by Caroline deacon for very good support for the first weeks.

Kate Evans 'The food of love' is very good - easy to read, amusing and comprehensive.

TheABC Sun 03-Jan-16 17:37:50

Take a look at the Kelly mom website. It has a range of articles, most of which cite their sources or are drawn directly from research. It's great for addressing a specific question, such as baby weight gain or use of medication whilst breastfeeding.

YokoUhOh Sun 03-Jan-16 17:41:18

I second Kellymom - I found it to be more useful than any of the books I read.

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 03-Jan-16 18:26:08

I also found womanly art to be a bit on the earth mother side for me too. Luckily I borrowed it frothed library. I agree with pp, kellymom is really good

applecatchers36 Sun 03-Jan-16 18:40:37

The NCT book of breast feeding by Mary Smale I found really useful. Found it very complete covering practical and emotional aspects.

Acorncat Sun 03-Jan-16 18:41:50

Definitely Kellymom, great information on there.

goodenoughmum88 Sun 03-Jan-16 18:52:05

Kellymom is great, also Google Dr. Jack Newman. Lots of evidence based advise without too much faffery. There's also lots of YouTube clips to watch re; latch and stuff which can be helpful (odd search criteria!) and maybe have a look online for you local support groups, getting practical help once you're home etc is invaluable as that's when little problems can crop up, some areas have Facebook groups too for mums who are breastfeeding and they share advice, ask questions etc.
Good luck!

didireallysaythat Sun 03-Jan-16 19:02:35

I liked this one

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0091906962/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1451847604&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=what+to+do+if+you+breastfeed+and+what+to+do+if+you+cant

As its title suggests it talks about both sides (ufbi remember correctly) which is refreshingly rare.

I talked to a LLL supporter over the phone who was similarly well balanced. Everyone else belonged to one camp or the other ...

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 03-Jan-16 19:05:40

Get any absorbing paperback, light enough to be held in one hand whilst bfing. And not too funny: Shaking with laughter is bad for a good latch.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:46:00

Thanks everyone.

PintofTea, thanks for the advice but not quite what I was looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now