Talk

Advanced search

URGENT HELP PLEASE! BABY SUCKED A POISONOUS HOUSEPLANT

(36 Posts)
srslylikeomg Tue 29-Dec-15 17:00:48

Hello - she seems find but I left the room with my 6month old under the brief watch of my 6 year old while I turned the oven down, and she learned to crawl and sucked a leaf of Epipremnum (devil’s ivy) - she seems fine, washed her face and mouth. No part of the leaf seems missing but it has been ripped and gummed. Cant find any info online about whether this is serious or not - just that it IS a poisonous houseplant that will now be moved and possibly binne sad WWYD now?? Feel like an utter idiot. I should know better sad

CallieTorres Tue 29-Dec-15 17:01:52

Why don't you call nhs direct? Ask an expert maybe instead of strangers online?

Topsy34 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:02:16

Ring 111 and get medical help

Fizrim Tue 29-Dec-15 17:02:33

You need to ring NHS direct and not waste time on here!

Topsy34 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:07

Sorry pressed wrong thing, im sure she will be fine but best to call just in case

LadyRoseMacClare Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:54

I'd just call 111 straight away, they'll soon tell you.

Hope she's ok.

Kefybaby Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:59

Please call nhs direct or a doctor. It's probably nothing but better be safe than sorry. Hopefully your baby is fine.

srslylikeomg Tue 29-Dec-15 17:04:16

Really? That seems an overreaction as she seems totally utterly fine - no rash no nothing? seems like a quick "nah they are not that poisonous" would be great, rather than ring and waste time.

WowOoo Tue 29-Dec-15 17:04:20

I'm sure she'll be fine. Just keep an eye on her.

The chances of her ingesting enough poison to do any harm are small. They tend not to taste very nice.

Put the plant up on a higher shelf. No need to bin it.

srslylikeomg Tue 29-Dec-15 17:04:37

Calling now.

P1nkP0ppy Tue 29-Dec-15 17:06:05

Call 111, not ask on here fgs!
I wouldn't have a poisonous houseplant in my house let alone anywhere near a baby.

CallieTorres Tue 29-Dec-15 17:06:59

A phone call is not wasting their time, that's what they are there for

Rushing to a+e, yes that would be wasting time.

srslylikeomg Tue 29-Dec-15 17:07:13

Should've posted in gardening TBH as I don't want to be hysterical about this, but I did ask I guess. Thanks for replying!

LadyRoseMacClare Tue 29-Dec-15 17:43:35

They 'might not be that poisonous' but surely that's not a risk you're willing to take? Glad you're calling.

noblegiraffe Tue 29-Dec-15 17:45:34

Phoning NHS direct will put you in contact with the poisons hotline, they have a database of all of this sort of stuff and what to do and look out for.

LadyRoseMacClare Wed 30-Dec-15 08:33:06

How did you get on OP?

NorthernLurker Wed 30-Dec-15 08:38:33

SO THE OP POSTS IN CAPITALS asking for help but then when given the correct advice that medical help should be sought in all cases of baby/child poisoning or potential poisoning gets all timid about not wanting to 'waste time' hmm

For the avoidance of doubt lets be clear - if you think your offspring has ingested something toxic it is your job as a parent to get medical advice immediately.

srslylikeomg Wed 30-Dec-15 08:39:22

Hi - thank you for asking, the baby is absolutely fine and currently scoffing scrambled egg and soldiers! I didn't call 111 in the end as as I was dialling I found some more info online that reassured me, as she only would've gummed it for a matter of seconds.

plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/epipremnum-aureum/

Thank you for checking in!

ArmchairTraveller Wed 30-Dec-15 08:40:18

The poison is an irritant, so if the baby isn't showing signs of a rash, excessive drooling, inflamation, swelling of tissues around the mouth, then everything is likely to be fine.
But yes, time to have a crawl around your house and do a risk assessment. Don't go on what your last baby was like, I made that mistake and ended up having to screw bookcases to the wall because my first wasn't a climber.

srslylikeomg Wed 30-Dec-15 08:49:00

I was looking for some advice about the plant rather than whether to get medical assistance - I have eyes in my head to see a medical emergency and unlike some on Mumsnet don't scream to call 111/the police/an ambulance at the drop of a hat. I was hoping a knowledgeable poster would be able to say: its not that toxic and will affect skin rather OR "its a seriously toxic plant don't wait and call 999" IYSWIM.

srslylikeomg Wed 30-Dec-15 08:49:58

Thanks Armchair thats exactly what I've done! This baby can seriously MOVE! smile

Toomuch2young Wed 30-Dec-15 08:54:08

I don't understand any of this, why you would:
A) post in dramatic capitals then say you don't want dramatic replies
B) have a poisonous house plant and a toddler
C) get irate when people give you advice to contact a professional regarding ingestion of a potentially toxic plant.
D) trust a 'knowledgeable strange' eg a random internet persons opinions/ advice rather than a professional.
I take my pets safety more seriously confused.
On the other hand am glad your toddler is fine. Maybe bin the plant?

insancerre Wed 30-Dec-15 08:54:15

Blimey
Glad the baby's OK
I'm sure you are not normally so rude

ArmchairTraveller Wed 30-Dec-15 08:56:01

I must admit that my first response to a crisis isn't to post on the internet, or google. But then I'm old. smile

srslylikeomg Wed 30-Dec-15 08:59:40

why is this rude??? I truly don't mean to be. I was grateful to people for posting - although could do without the hectoring!

I am not irate - I am glad the baby is OK. The plant has been moved - you ever make a mistake?

The capitals were also a mistake. BUT:

Give me a break! I panicked but trust me I wouldn't go on the internet instead of seeking medical advice if I felt it was a desperate emergency.

It wasn't, the baby is fine. I found the information I was after without calling in the calvary although I did call my mum

I am sure you take your pet's safety very seriously - which is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now