Talk

Advanced search

Feel like odd one out & lonely even in a family of 5

(3 Posts)
Oddoneout63 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:43:39

I'm Mum to 3x DS, all now teenagers. I feel like I have nothing in common with them or their DF any more & can't seem to connect with them. YS is athletic & a good sprinter: I've always been a runner/jogger but never competitive - just for fun but I take my running seriously. When he is competing I'm often there all day with DF, but will go off for my run during breaks between his events, so we kind of have that in common. We occasionally run together though he can't run as far, but he's faster!

MS & ES & I have nothing in common with at all. MS in into bmx bikes, art & bass guitar; ES is a geek & plays games all day if you let him.

During this Xmas break the family have been together at home but I always feel as if I'm now on the periphery iyswim.

They have spent most of the hols dozing, lazing in front of the tv & doing f all. Meanwhile I'm going stir crazy as we don't see friends, invite anyone over & I feel quite lonely & isolated. We did go for a walk with some friends in BDay with our dogs, & then had a cold turkey dinner with them but that's been it. It just feels as if I want different things from everyone else. I want to be out seeing people or just visiting the seaside or walking in the woods, but I have to do it all by myself as no one else wants to.

Our summer hols emphasised the diffs between us too as it rained the whole time but I still wanted to get out but they were all happy to sit in the chalet literally all day & watch tv. I ended up going out running up the mountains by myself just to stop going mad!

How do others cope when they are in a male-dominated household with completely diff interests to you?

Flamingo1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 16:29:29

What are your interests other than running? Meetup.com is good for meeting people with similar interests to you. I don't know if you can force similar interests in a family like yours. I'd be interested to hear what other people say on this thread as I have wondered what mums of teenage sons have in common with each other.

Flamingo1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 16:31:06

Ps ask mumsnet to put this in relationships I think you'd get more responses there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now