Nine month old can't crawl and getting frustrated

(6 Posts)
EsmesBees Sat 26-Dec-15 16:43:36

My nine month old dd is showing no signs of being about to crawl anytime soon. However she is pretty mobile and can roll across a room if she wants something. The problem is that since seven months she will go Straight from sitting to flat on her front with ease, and then the screaming starts. She used to be pretty keen on tummy time but once she could sit up it would no longer be tolerated. I'm not bothered about her not crawling but could do without the screaming to be sat back up every five minutes. Any ideas about anything I could do to reduce her frustration? She's very flexible but can't seem to get her knees underneath her in the classic crawling pose.

gatewalker Sat 26-Dec-15 16:57:56

As far as I know, crawling is not an official phase. Some babies do it, others go straight to cruising/walking. I'd be more inclined to take notice of her not being able to pull herself up from her tummy, tbh.

No doubt someone with more experience will provide a more helpful answer.

EsmesBees Sat 26-Dec-15 17:04:18

Thanks. She can get her chest off the floor but not her belly. Or at least not without a lot of effort. She scoots round on her belly but only in circles.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 27-Dec-15 08:10:35

My friend's son had this problem, he wouldn't pull to stand, wouldn't cruise the furniture etc and he was referred for physiotherapy. She was told it was because her son didn't have the muscle strength in his legs to really weight bear on them (crawling or standing) and that physio would help. Might be worth asking your GP or HV about?

Kent1982 Sun 27-Dec-15 11:21:19

Don't worry they all do different things. My boy could crawl no problem but couldn't sit up unaided. And apparently I walked and never crawled at all. A friend of mines daughter scooted around on her bum and didn't crawl. I think they just find their own way and from what your saying I think she's well on her way

skankingpiglet Mon 28-Dec-15 23:22:07

My DD didn't crawl until 8.5mo (so only a bit younger than yours is now), and my friend's DS waited until 10mo. I don't think you should worry yet and as others have said, some miss it out completely particularly if they can roll well or bottom shuffle. Your DD is probably busy learning other skills at the moment so just isn't that fussed about crawling if she can already roll to an object she wants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now