Talk

Advanced search

3 year old won't take antibiotics

(8 Posts)
ffs78 Tue 22-Dec-15 09:37:34

My dd (3) has been prescribed the antibiotic erythromycin for tonsillitis . She just won't take it though as she hates the taste. Even when we put it in jam she refuses it - she's a nightmare. It's becoming so stressful I don't know what to do. She understands why she needs it but she's so stubborn. Her temperature has come down to normal which is s good sign but I am so afraid she won't get better without the antibiotics. What do I do?

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Tue 22-Dec-15 09:40:57

Bribery.

ds2 had some really really foul antibiotics when he was 7 and was as stubborn as they come. I managed to get him to take them with a chocolate chaser afterwards. I think the bribe/chaser worked better than trying to disguise them in something because they were really awful!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 22-Dec-15 09:47:38

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down! I have syringed out the dose, mixed with icing sugar and then give it to them.

VegetablEsoup Tue 22-Dec-15 09:49:25

yes to bribery.
or go back for a prescription of capsules that you can break open and mix with nutella.

Blu Tue 22-Dec-15 09:50:39

Give her a mouthful of chocolate first, then the antibiotics possibly mixed with sugar, while the choc is still in her mouth.

Otherwise if that doesn't work, find an efficient technique and get on with it briskly by force.

Topsy34 Sun 27-Dec-15 02:18:57

Go back to gp and say she wont take it, they havea whole range they can prescribe

I went back three times with ds when he had antibiotics and on the third visit gp said oh yes, these are the most palatable.

FastWindow Sun 27-Dec-15 02:26:02

Mix the erythromycin with a concentrated chocolate milk mix. Really concentrated. So for one tube of medicine, give four, then a chocolate button. The chocolate flavour is a mask for erythromycin, not a perfect one, but the best ive found.

Headmelt Sun 27-Dec-15 02:35:31

Could you ask the gp to give you the prescription in powder form and mix it with yoghurt or put it in her drinking cup?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now