Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Single dad's and financial entitlement's

(24 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JordanC9 Mon 21-Dec-15 23:35:14

Hi im Jordan (sorry if posting in the wrong part, have just joined the forum) I am 18 and 8 days ago was given custody of my 2 month old daughter. She came straight from the hospital and in to my custody (as she was premature) Me and her mum where not together, I did know she was even pregnant until the baby was born when her mum phoned me and told me which was confirmed with DNA. She is 23 and already has 2 kids (one who is in care and the other one her step mum and dad have custody of) Social services already had concerns and she voluntary gave me full custody of Zara.

Things have been okay although tough, but my mum has been helping me with her a lot and I am getting the hang of things. Social services visited us but had no concerns so have had no further contact from them so can not ask them from info. The health visitor has been over a few times but has not advised me regarding finances.

I work as an apprentice mechanic on minimum wage and have to put a big majority of that on rent. My mum can only help me out financially a little bit (she has emptied her savings that where supposed to be used to go on holiday, which wasn't much at all) we got a free cot off of gumtree and have managed to buy cheap essentials and clothes. It's horrible having to see her wearing hand down bad conditioned clothes and not have any nice things. If I had knew I would have saved as much as I could.

What financial help can I get in this situation if any? All I am getting at the moment is the £20 a week child benefit which just about pays for her milk and nappies. I was wondering if I am able to get the maternity grant? I read online you can only have it for one child but I assume she had it for her first child as she's not worked. If this is the case would I still be able to claim it?

JoMalones Mon 21-Dec-15 23:55:44

Go to to find out about benefits and tax credits etc.
You may also want to report your post to remove the names of you and your daughter.
Good luck and congratulations

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeffalumpTrap Tue 22-Dec-15 00:06:04

Oh you sound lovely, what a difficult situation to suddenly find yourself in with very little warning. Well done for doing your best for this little girl. She won't know or care whether her baby clothes are new or not. As long as they're clean and comfy they're perfect.

I'm afraid I don't know how to help regarding your finances, but if there's any other practical advice or emotional support etc you need I do hope you feel free to come on here and ask.

All the best

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justanewmummy Tue 22-Dec-15 00:34:49

Hi, you sound like you are doing a great job with your daughter. As pp has said, she won't know or care if her clothes aren't new so long as they are clean and comfortable. However - I have a big bag of brand new and barely worn 0-3 month girls clothes and if you'd like them I'd be very happy to send you them for free. Just PM me.

BaronessEllaSaturday Tue 22-Dec-15 00:43:48

You will be entitled to working and child tax credits and possibly housing benefit. Ring tax credits tomorrow and get the claim started. Good luck, I think I still have some baby toys around so I'll check and let you know if I do.

ffffffedup Tue 22-Dec-15 05:40:39

You should definitely be entitled to tax credits if your only on the minimum wage possibly help with rent and council tax. Well done for stepping up to the plate not many 18 y o could cope with a baby on their own. Don't worry about her not having brand new clothes she will never ever remember as long as she's fed clean warm and loved then your doing a fantastic job.

3rdrockfromthesun Tue 22-Dec-15 08:19:39

Look at working tax credits. You will be entitled to them at 24 hours not the usually 30. You can do a quick calculation online and get the form that way too. Have you talked to your social worker - they should help you with claiming benefits. Do you pay rent? If so you might be entitled to housing benefit and talk to your local sure start centre they might be able to help out with essentials for the baby.

ChinaSorrows Tue 22-Dec-15 08:26:53

The advice above is second to none.
The offers are what make mn a wonderful place.

Jordan, if you didn't know she was pregnant, how was a DNA test performed to prove you're the father? Did you attend a test or were you called and told?

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:36:16

As others have said you should be entitled to housing benefit (presuming you don't live with your mum) and working tax credit.

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:37:03

Sorry, posted too soon. Turn2Us has lots of information on benefit entitlement and another benefits calculator.

Letseatgrandma Tue 22-Dec-15 08:40:25

Goodness-who is looking after the baby whilst you are at work?

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 22-Dec-15 08:44:43

Child benefit already that was quick turn around with paperwork almost as quick as DNA

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 22-Dec-15 08:45:48

It's the holidays fhmm

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:49:58

Unnecessary, CB applications are often processed within a week and they can be expedited. Quick DNA tests can take 3-5 days to come back.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Dec-15 11:03:36

Hello all and OP
We do advise all our members to be aware that not everyone on t'internet is who they say they are, and that, although we're awed daily by the astonishing support our members give each other through life's trickier twists and turns, we'd always caution anyone never to give more of themselves to another poster, emotionally or financially, than they can afford to spare.

Hope that you're able to get some helpful support and advice here though we'd also caution about givng too many identifiable details out on the internet.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 23-Dec-15 10:52:54

8 days ago was given custody of my 2 month old daughter. She came straight from the hospital and in to my custody (as she was premature)

Something fishy about this timeline ... She came straight from the hospital to you, 8 days ago, she's premature, but is also 2 months old. hmm

Redlocks28 Wed 23-Dec-15 11:00:27

I don't think the OP will be back!

antimatter Wed 23-Dec-15 11:11:00

isn't it that DNA tests are done when the baby is 6 months old?

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Wed 23-Dec-15 11:18:42

Maybe the baby was in hospital for 2 months being specially monitored?

MissWimpyDimple Wed 23-Dec-15 11:21:38

DNA tests can be done from birth. There is no reason to think that the baby couldn't come straight to him 8 days Ago.

What is fishy about that?

I hope you do come back to the thread

justjuanmorebeer Wed 23-Dec-15 11:50:07

Hi Jordan.

More detail is needed about your work and living situation to properly advise you. It is NOT as simple as some people above are suggesting re tax credits.

Is your apprentiship programme based (college) or employer based?

As you are 18 and possibly been doing it since 16 (?) I would say likelyhood is employer based which should help you, in theory.

If you are actually classed as an employee, each week, for the same employer then you should be ok.

Your hourly rate may also have an effect here too. It depends if you live in an area where universal credit is being or has been rolled out. For instance in my city, all new apps from now on from single people are for UC, not housing benefit.

The reason your low hourly rate could affect you here will be that under UC there are minimum earning rules for the amount of hours you do per week. As appretiship rate is so much lower than the min wage rate, this could affect you negatively as you may not hit the 'target' for weekly earnings.

If your apprentiship is programme based at college then you would be looking at an application for income support, child tax credit and housing benefit.

If you are an employee then working tax instead of income support. This is unless your area is already doing universal credit.

Your first action should be to go through your work contracts and gather any paperwork you have including bank statements.
Then go to an appointment at citizens advice bureau to get them to check what you can apply for.

Get your applications in asap, they are only backdating one month now and the date you can apply from is the exact day she came to live with you.

Forgot to say, you will only get housing benefit if you have a tenancy in your name. Can you give us some more info about your living situation?

Alanna1 Sun 27-Dec-15 19:21:41

Your story does sound a bit unlikely, but giving you the benefit of the doubt... In addition to the advice above. If I was in your shoes I'd also go along to your local church and ask for some help. If you are from a different religion then ask at your local religious synagogue or mosque, but even if you are not religious at all your local vicar will help you try to reach out to parishionners for help for a small baby. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now