Talk

Advanced search

Please put my mind at rest...

(7 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Dec-15 20:31:57

PND and anxiety sufferer here.

I know I tend to blow things out of proportion but just look for some reasurrance.

My 1 year one did that dying-swan arching-back mega-wriggle all babies do when trying to escape a nappy change. This happens A LOT at the moment.

However, this time I heard her spine crack. It was a bit stomach churning on my part. She didn't seem to notice, no crying or anything. She was able to walk after, both arms and legs still functioning normally.

It would be bonkers to spent the night worrying she has a spinal fracture right?!?

pictish Sat 19-Dec-15 20:34:19

Yes it would. And I mean that kindly.
Bodies make all sorts of pops and cracks.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Dec-15 23:46:18

Yes thank you. And given that she screams blue murder if she eats the last white chocolate button I'm sure a broken bone would result in at least a few tears. Needless to say she's sound asleep and has slept through her daddy coming home from his work Christmas party drunk and merrily trying to be quiet whilst somehow being incredibly noisy!!

I'm resisting the temptation to go in and check her reflexes!!!

BahHumbugs Sat 19-Dec-15 23:49:28

Its air in the joints, like when people crack their knuckles, She will be fine, you would definately know.

ffs78 Sat 19-Dec-15 23:51:18

When you crack your back, it does not mean that you are cracking any bones. When you crack your back, the spinal fluid between each joint in the spine releases gas and this produces the popping or the cracking sound.

A spinal fracture would have to be caused by a massive trauma and she would be in lots of pain. She sounds absolutely fine. You just have a typically feisty little girl who may benefit from some gentle distraction to make your life easier during nappy changing!

Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Dec-15 23:59:59

Thank you everyone. I feel much better. My logical brain knows it's impossible. But ever since I've had PND it's like my mind is constantly trying to create doubt about the most ridiculous things. It's the reason I now check I've locked the front door 2/3 times every time I leave the house (often, driving back half way down the road to check).

I'm much better, but silly things like this crop up every now and then.

She is very very wriggly. Getting the nappy off is ok, but then she manages to wonder off with her bare bum and catching her and pinning her down is another matter altogether!!!

ffs78 Sun 20-Dec-15 17:53:27

I've been there too Bellyrub - I've lost count of the nights I've lain awake over a crisis that never amounted to anything!!! It is daunting being in charge of a little life sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now