Talk

Advanced search

How to cope with a 1 year old while shopping on the Saturday before Christmas

(10 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Dec-15 07:24:15

I rarely, if ever go shopping on a Saturday. Hate the crowds, the heat, the queues etc. But as it happens, that's exactly what I'll be doing today along with my 1 year old. Yay!

I need tips. I know this probably seems like a basic parenting skill but I lack experience! How do I keep her happy/entertained whilst I trawl the shops?

TuckingFablet Sat 19-Dec-15 07:24:51

Lots and lots of biscuits

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Sat 19-Dec-15 07:38:36

Food. Lots of it and keep in the buggy. Any chance you can leave her with someone instead?

Lovelilies2 Sat 19-Dec-15 07:42:23

Snacks. And toys. And somewhere to go for a break where she can have a good run around then hopefully sleep. smile

bittapitta Sat 19-Dec-15 07:43:01

Are you sure you can't shop online?! John Lewis, Amazon etc all taking orders still.

Otherwise lots of coffee breaks, snacks, little toys, variety.

ZenNudist Sat 19-Dec-15 07:45:39

Go early. Might as well as you're up anyway. Also Yy to lots of snacks. Musical toys or little toys that you can exchange to keep them entertained. I find that if I keep moving my 1yo enjoys the lights and people watching but if in stopped, in a queue or trying stuff on then he doesn't like it.

Have a plan of which shops to hit. Try for : there by 9, done by 11/12.

Try and time it with her nap is another good one, if she will sleep in a buggy.

ChippyMinton Sat 19-Dec-15 07:46:07

Go early, be parked up by 8.45.
Write a list. Plan your route round the shops. Hit the busiest ones first before the crowds.
Don't dither, just buy! If you can afford to, buy more than one version and decide at home. Keep the receipts safe for returns.

Aim to be sitting enjoying a coffee by 11am!

drinkyourmilk Sat 19-Dec-15 07:47:32

Get to the shops as soon as they open. In my experience it gets far busier after 1030, even today. Make a list if what you need, where you (are likely) to get it, and plan your it itinerary. Keep lo in the pushchair and feed when she yells. Be realistic about how much you can do. If necessary return tomorrow when the shops open. Don't over shop today and make it miserable. If you bf take a sling so you can walk and feed in that.

ChippyMinton Sat 19-Dec-15 07:47:36

Zen, been there done that?!

Personally I would go alone if possible.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 19-Dec-15 08:01:19

Thank you everyone! We will be leaving in about 30 minutes! My list is in my pocket. I shall have snacks in every pocket!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now