Talk

Advanced search

confused with milk and weaning

(8 Posts)
Suzy4321 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:08:05

Hi I wonder if you can help me.

I have been weaning baby (nearly 7 months) she loves food and has 20 oz of formula during day my question is.....

I have to wake her for her 10pm feed. Sometimes like last night she would not take a drop other nights she will drink between 5 to 7 oz. Now should I stop waking her and see if she will keep going through the night. Her 10pm feeds takes her over 20oz.

The thing is she is a great sleeper goes down at 7pm and wakes at 7am (probably cursed myself now) and so I don't want to cause sleeping problems.

Should I wake her and give her a feed or let her sleep through . Help please

lornathewizzard Fri 18-Dec-15 10:14:48

At 7 months she should wake up herself if she's hungry. I wouldn't be waking her. This may mean she wakes up later though, so if you want to avoid that you could do a dream feed about 11 maybe?

Scotinoz Fri 18-Dec-15 11:13:30

I have an almost 8 month old. No way would I wake her for a feed. If she wakes I feed, if not, hooray! More sleep for me.

Seriously, all you can do is trial it. Don't wake her and see what happens. If it's a disaster, keep waking. My eldest grew out of the late night feed around this age - just stopped one day.

Suzy4321 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:55:02

I'll risk not waking and see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions

whatsoever Tue 22-Dec-15 18:24:22

I never woke DS for a feed, when he was bf or later when he was ff. I've never really understood it?

skankingpiglet Thu 24-Dec-15 17:42:36

I've never woken DD up for a feed either, she'd always wake and very vocally let me know if hungry! Definitely try leaving it and see what happens. She will likely wake later as she takes a fair amount when woken and wants it, but although this is rubbish, in the long term you can work towards making it later and later until it didn't happen any more.
My DD was a nightmare with dropping the night feeds and clung onto them for ages (7 months ish too I think before we tackled it). In the end I would set the time I was absolutely unprepared to feed before and if she woke before she would get soothing and cuddles (often with DH so she knew she wouldn't get milk) but no more until the set time. She quickly caught on and would sleep until 'feed time'. Once she got used to it for a while I'd push it a bit later and do the same thing again. It took a while as I did it gradually, and the first few nights of changing things would be a bit shit, but we got there smile Obviously if she was ill/teething we'd put the scheme on hold.

skankingpiglet Thu 24-Dec-15 17:43:41

Just noticed your OP was written on the 18th - how did you get on?

Suzy4321 Thu 24-Dec-15 21:12:33

Not good , didn't wake her she woke at 3am. Following night she did same so the next night I thought fuck it I'll feed her and the monkey took 1oz if that. And slept through. So still feeding but she is only taking 4oz max some nights refuses . So I'll keep on like this for time being

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now