Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for toddler back carrier please?

(19 Posts)
maymow Thu 17-Dec-15 13:14:39

DD aged 14 months is ready to be carried in a back pack style carrier but no idea which ones supposed to be good. Just thought it would make a good Xmas present for DH (if I've not left it too late!). Recommendations please? We're both about 5'8 or so, if that's relevant.

littlealien01 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:31:33

Can you get to a sling library to try some out, its very individual as it depends how they adjust to fit you.
Maybe a sling consultation for dogs Xmas pressie and a voucher towards the one he decides he likes?

I love our Manduca, Dh preferred the ergo, I know friends who swear by Tulas and bobas but it will come down to what you both like the feel of

littlealien01 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:32:55

Sorry Dh s pressie no idea why my phone auto corrected to dogs!

GinGinGin Thu 17-Dec-15 13:33:07

Boba 4G - carries kids up to the age of 4.

maymow Thu 17-Dec-15 13:34:10

Ah thanks littlealien. I was thinking more of a structured carrier on the back than a sling? DD has moved beyond sling stage, she wriggles like crazy in the ergo!

CMOTDibbler Thu 17-Dec-15 13:35:46

DH and I both carried ds as a toddler, and had a variety of slings and carriers (I'm 5'9, he's 6'3). Neither of us liked the Little life backpack carrier or the Ergo. We did like the ToddlerHawk (with xl straps), and a DreamCarrier wrap conversion with buckle waist, and used those till ds was 4. And not a small 4 at all.

RatOnnaStick Thu 17-Dec-15 13:37:34

Its very personal. I tried the Boba 4g, Beco Butterfly, KiBi, Manduca, Connecta and Tula and the one that was most comfy for me was the Tula which fitted my curvy shape and wide shoulders. DH prefers the Manduca. My friend prefers the Beco because she's narrow-shouldered. Its a minefield and what suits one isn't guaranteed to suit another.

A sling library (postal is doable) is the best way to work out what suits you.

ODog Thu 17-Dec-15 15:42:08

My 18mo will still be carried in a sling. My DH prefers a manduca and I use a toddler connecta. We have a little life backpack carrier but found it is much heavier/more strain. DS does wriggle when he wants to get down and walk bolt like he's a criminal on the run and I don't think that would be any different in a backpack style carrier. Maybe she has just moved on from wanting to be carried full stop?

maymow Thu 17-Dec-15 17:40:32

Hmm, it's quite possible odog... She is not a fan of the buggy either. I was just hoping with a backpack carrier we might be able to get out for the odd walk... Maybe wishful thinking! Thanks for all the various suggestions, will look them up.

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 17-Dec-15 17:44:43

Have a look at the Little Life ones. Ours is fantastic and got it for a bargain price second hand, looked like new

Littlef00t Thu 17-Dec-15 17:47:59

I have a Kibi which goes from 4 months to 3 Years. My cousin loves her toddler Tula. To be honest, once Dd started walking, she was never content in any sling or carry rucksack for long.

Sweetpotatoaddict Thu 17-Dec-15 17:59:20

I use the deuter comfort 3 for my 14 month, both myself and my husband are 5'8". Our ds loves it, and generally shouts and chatters away in it. We also have an ergo which I use for short about town trips, walks to the park etc. The deuter feels heavier but he seems much happier in it, and if walking on rough terrain you feel he'd be well protected if you fell ( thankfully not tested). On the downside the deuter is rather expensive and the rain cover is sold separately, but I think it's worth it if you are going to use it a lot. Hope this helps.

rudolphistheboss Thu 17-Dec-15 18:03:00

I have a standard Tula which I carry my 14 month old ds in every day. I have a toddler Tula which I use for my 3 yo DD on long walks or when she is tired. Cannot recommend enough, they are so comfy and easy to use for back carries.

Jenijena Thu 17-Dec-15 18:06:57

We had an ergo and an osprey structured rucksack carrier. The osprey had all the gadgets (and price, and weight) of the serious rucksack maker it is. Preferred it for proper outings as space for nappies, drink, food etc. But ergo very comfortable - glad we had both for different occasions. DS, not ever an out and about napper in his buggy or the ergo, fell asleep in the osprey several times, so comfy...

confusedandemployed Thu 17-Dec-15 18:09:51

I have a Rose and Rebellion soft structure backpack-style carrier. It's b
Fab. DD is 2.10yo, 2st10lb and I can still do a good hour solid walking before I start feeling tired. She will probably be in it on and off for at least another year - we've just ditched the buggy for good in favour of the sling.
I do agree that it's a personal thing though so get thee to a sling library. smile

ohthegoats Thu 17-Dec-15 19:54:06

We have a Little Lives S3 Cross Country (I think it's called that) - it's quite bulky to carry, but I find it more comfortable than a Boba 4G or Manduca on my back - child prefers being higher up too.

Also, it's got space for all the child crap you have to carry around, whereas if you have a sling type back carrier, you have to have someone else carry nappies etc, or wear another bag somehow - which makes you bulky and uncomfortable.

gruber Thu 17-Dec-15 19:57:32

I have a Rose and Rebellion preschooler (tall and heavy DS outgrew Manduca by 2.3!) We love it. I tried a Little Life framed one and found it quite rigid and put DS in a funny position. He is very snug in the R & R and it still folds up small so easy to stuff in rather than the framed one. It's also light enough to wear round the shops and then pop him in when he's tired of walking.

BikeRunSki Thu 17-Dec-15 20:10:15

DH used to work in an outdoor shop, and always recommended the MacPac Possum - it was the one that people always came back and thank him for!! The one that previously backpack haters (adults and children) loved and the one they supplied over and over to a local stately home. When DS was born we got one and I carried him in it far more than I ever used a pushchair from about 8 months on. Then DD. was my favourite bit of baby stuff.

ohthegoats Thu 17-Dec-15 22:07:34

We definitely use our back carrier more than our buggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now