Talk

Advanced search

DD ill don't know what to do now

(8 Posts)
sammyjayneex Wed 16-Dec-15 11:39:27

My 3 year old DD got ill last week with the usual cough high temp runny nose ect and her temp went back to normal after a day. Then she was fine in regards to temperature as it was normal but she still has the cough. Then yesterday's her temperature increased again so I took her to the doctors who said she's surprised her high temp came back as she can't see any signs of there being anything wrong but my daughter has a high temp and is sleepy. I'm stressed out now. The doc gave her some antibiotics on a 'just in case basis' and said only give her starting from Thursday if she's no better. Why do doctors do that? They give no explanation at what's wrong at all. She said she doesn't like giving children antibiotics (which I fully understand) but she's left me wondering why my daughters temperature has spiked again and she can't find nothing. It's stressing me out seeing her ill and the doctor has not given any explanation whatsoever so I'm left thinking all sorts and thinking what if she has meningitis or Something although I've not noticed a rash. It's hard work taking her to the docs as it is trying to fit appointments whilst other kids are at school and she's done nothing to help

dementedpixie Wed 16-Dec-15 19:34:45

If its viral there is little the gp could do.

Pobspits Wed 16-Dec-15 19:38:08

How high is her temp? How is she in herself?

Doctors can't always know especially because ALOT is vital. Did they check chest / ears / throat etc?

Make sure she's drinking alot and start the antibiotics tomorrow if she's unwrll.

Ps re meningitis - a rash would be a final sign of septicaemia spreading so it's not something to 'wait' for. However your daughter doesn't sound that ill from what you've said?

Pobspits Wed 16-Dec-15 19:38:26

A lot is viral

YeOldeTrout Wed 16-Dec-15 19:39:05

did they test her wee for UTI, sammy?

Sirzy Wed 16-Dec-15 19:39:55

Sounds like the gp has confirmed all seems fine at the moment to me. A bit of a virus probably but given you antibiotics in case things get worse.

There isn't anything that can be done for a mild virus anyway.

DiscoDiva70 Wed 16-Dec-15 19:55:59

I'd say she also probably has a virus and so I wouldn't worry too much, although obviously keep an eye on her as you are doing.
Kids are sometimes sleepy when they're poorly, and I'd only be concerned by the sleepiness if a child is very lethargic and hard to rouse.

sammyjayneex Wed 16-Dec-15 20:29:28

Just checked her temp and its 39.1
I am only worried because she's had a temp last week which then went and now it's returned so on worried things have 'progressed' into something worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now