Talk

Advanced search

Very sleepy 3 week old

(18 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 17:31:29

This is dc3 so you'd think I'd know by now! She literally sleeps most of the time! She's awake maybe an hour a day in total? She's ebf and I've had to wake her to feed her today every 3/4 hours. She wakes about every 3 at night. Is this ok/normal?! She also has an awful cold so not sure if that's contributing to her sleepiness?

Eminado Tue 15-Dec-15 17:32:24

Take it and run!

waitingforsomething Tue 15-Dec-15 17:40:58

Both mine have been like this. They woke up a bit around week 4. enjoy

NickyEds Tue 15-Dec-15 20:43:29

Is her weight gain good? Is she jaundiced at all? Plenty of wet/dirty nappies?

AnotherStitchInTime Tue 15-Dec-15 20:45:23

I would get her seen just to be sure.

Doublebubblebubble Tue 15-Dec-15 20:49:10

As long as she's gaining weight and pooing and weeing its all gravy baby! Both of mine have been like this ds more so than dd (but apparently that's boys) my hv has said "never wake a sleeping baby" - what would happen if you left her instead of waking her and giving the feed straight away... Would she wake up herself. What is she like when she is feeding??

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 20:53:21

HV checked her for jaundice at day 10 check and she was fine. She was 7lb 8 at birth and was 7 15 at day 10 which was her last weigh in. Nothing has changed in her feeding/sleeping pattern since so I'm guessing she's still gaining? Lots of poo and wee too. If I didn't wake her she'd wake eventually I'm sure. If I wake her to feed she'll normally only have one side then drop off again. If she wakes for a feed She'll have both sides and therefore a bigger feed I'm guessing. Maybe she's just more relaxed than my last 2?' They're appalling sleepers even now

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 20:55:58

She is also very pukey especially since getting a cold so that's making me a bit more worried about her being sleepy if you know what i mean? Though she's still getting enough milk I think

Doublebubblebubble Tue 15-Dec-15 21:06:55

Is she sick every feed?

cornishglos Tue 15-Dec-15 22:52:34

Please get her checked. Why wouldn't you? My baby was very sleepy with a cold at 10 days old. That night I set an alarm to wake and feed her every 3 hours. She was too sleepy after 3 hours and feed after 4 hours but threw up afterwards. We went to A&E to get her checked and she had bronchiolitis. She stayed in for 3 days. It's worth checking.

cornishglos Tue 15-Dec-15 22:53:42

By the way, the GP said she was fine but wasn't a paediatrician and didn't have the equipment to check the blood oxygen level on a newborn, so it was better to go to A&E.

Pico2 Tue 15-Dec-15 23:00:49

I'd get her checked if you are concerned. Doctors always seem happy to see tiny babies, even if you aren't sure if it is worth bothering them with.

My DD2 was a very sleepy newborn. I'd google how much they should sleep and wonder why she slept so much more than the norm. She was also a bit pukey. She would throw up if you lay her down within an hour of a feed. Both of these have "resolve" as she now barely naps and hasn't puked for a while. But at 3 weeks she was still being weighed regularly due to her being massive when born and then slow to return to her birth weight as she was catching down to the 50th centile. If she wasn't being weighed and also had a cold then I probably would have got her checked.

Doublebubblebubble Wed 16-Dec-15 11:02:39

I was also going to say, tiredness along with vomiting can be a sign of bronchiolitis. My ds 8 weeks was hospitalised for 3 days with the same(ish) symptoms x

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 16-Dec-15 11:33:08

Thanks for the advice. I took her the GP this morning and we're up on children's ward now waiting to see a doctor. It's so hard when they're tiny and you're sleep deprived trying to figure out if you're paranoid or not!

cornishglos Wed 16-Dec-15 13:18:02

You were right to question. Hope she's ok. In the best place. Let us know x

Pico2 Wed 16-Dec-15 20:27:17

I hope she's doing ok.

Mummyagain15 Thu 17-Dec-15 18:23:02

Op how is your daughter doing?

I have a three week old and he's been really sleepy lately, just how you describe I've had to wake him for feeds etc. I took him to the Drs today because my two year old has been really poorly lately, cough cold etc but took ages to shift and was really under the weather (miserable) with it, now the baby has it! Dr checked the baby's temp ears and listened to his chest and said everything looked/sounded good he just had a cold.. But after reading on here I'm worried!?
confused I know babies sleep a lot but last two nights he's been having a feed around 7-8 then not been waking till early hours of the morning.. I'm thinking of setting an alarm tonight? He isn't awake much in the day either?! sad

cornishglos Thu 17-Dec-15 21:57:26

do set an alarm, and go to A&E tomorrow if worried. Hope it's nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now