Talk

Advanced search

Conditioner when wetcombing headlice?

(8 Posts)
TigerTeatime Tue 15-Dec-15 07:50:15

I have read lots on the internet but can't find the exact answer. Lots and lots of headlice at school. Friends have said I should start checking DS a least a couple of times a week. Difficult to do as DS (age 6) has Autism and doesn't want it done and can't stand the smell of almost every conditioner.

I have bought a nitty gritty comb. Do I need to also use conditioner? Or can I just check through wet hair? He has short fine hair that is easy to comb through.

I am wondering if I can just do it after I wash his hair while it is wet. Will save me having to rinse twice. Or can I use leave in conditioner?

Any advice most gratefully received. Thanks

tattyteddy Tue 15-Dec-15 10:12:12

I think it will be fine if you wet comb, just do it after he's washed his hair or spray his hair with water.

I wet comb my DD's hair when checking. As far as I understand the water or conditioner make the hair easier to go through.

dementedpixie Tue 15-Dec-15 10:13:38

The water /conditioner immobilises the lice so they stop moving and are easier to comb out

Toffeelatteplease Tue 15-Dec-15 10:25:32

If its short enough you can do it on dry. You just have to look very carefully for the blighters

You can comb a couple of times a week but it is a hell of a lot of work for a lad with ASD.

Personally I would just leave it unless they start itching. Unless your friends are politely trying to tell you he already has them confused

Holstein Tue 15-Dec-15 10:28:07

I used conditioner- just makes it easier for comb to glide through, and pale colour means lice show up!
Just use cheapest own brand.

Holstein Tue 15-Dec-15 10:29:42

Sorry- have read properly. Unless you suspect he has them, just check through his hair- by looking - once a week, when it's dry.

TigerTeatime Tue 15-Dec-15 11:59:20

Thanks for the messages. He definitely has no lice so far, but his best friend has plus two other friends. Their mothers told me to start checking as once they take hold they are a nightmare to get rid of!

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Tue 15-Dec-15 20:51:47

If it is just checking wet short hair should be fine

You might need to brave conditioner if he gets them though. Hard to get them all without.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now