medicine when breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
Emhoops Tue 15-Dec-15 01:14:59

I'm currently suffering the worst cold, sore throat, tight chest and blocked nose. Can anyone tell me what I'm safe to take when breastfeeding? I'm currently drinking loads of hot water with honey and lemon but I think something stronger is required. Thanks

lljkk Tue 15-Dec-15 05:08:34

this link might work. It depends on the specific active ingredient, but most of them are safe, basically. Anything you were allowed in pregnancy should be ok. How old is baby?

SeoulSista Tue 15-Dec-15 05:11:49

I had a horrible chest infection and was given augmentin from the birth. It cleared the chest but sadly not my infected cs would which required something else. So there are safe antibiotics.

Emhoops Tue 15-Dec-15 05:41:10

Thanks for the replys. Baby is 11 weeks. He's currently on antibiotics with a bad chest and he seems to of passed it onto the rest of the house so we're all suffering with it now.

Niknak1980 Tue 15-Dec-15 06:36:30

I had an awful cold last week and was told by the pharmacist in boots it's pretty much paracetamol and steam inhalation while BF. A bit rubbish I know, but it'll take the edge off. Try to stay in the warm, lots of hot Ribena and rest (!) I hope you feel better soon x

SweetTeaVodka Tue 15-Dec-15 07:07:49

The breastfeeding network has some great medicines in breast milk fact sheets which are usually my first point of call of unsure about taking something, their cough/colds medicines one is here www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/cough-cold-oct14.pdf

The main thing to remember is avoid decongestants (eg sudafed) as the decongestant ingredients severely reduce milk supply.

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now