Talk

Advanced search

Problems getting baby to take a bottle

(4 Posts)
batfish Mon 14-Dec-15 18:41:04

We are trying and failing to get our 8 week old to take bottles of expressed milk. We started trying at around 5 weeks but not persistently, we are now trying most days and he just screams like he's being murdered, it's awful! My husband is always the one to attempt it and I have also tried on a couple of occasions but after him.

Things we have tried:
Different teats (medela, tommee tippee and pigeon so far, have avent and mam to try)
Me being out of the room
Holding baby in breastfeeding position
Not holding baby in breastfeeding position
Tricking baby by breastfeeding then slipping bottle in (worked once and not another time)
Room temp milk
Warmed milk
Soaking teat in milk

One thing I do think we may be doing wrong is that we mostly try for the bedtime feed so maybe this is a time that my baby wants to breastfeed for comfort. But it's the only feed my husband is there for due to work.

Any other ideas? I don't live in the UK and mat leave here is crap so I'm back at work in 8 weeks and worrying a bit! Not to mention that every day I dread the bottle attempt as hate to see my baby screaming and knowing I'm causing it!

TheLesserSpottedBee Tue 15-Dec-15 07:48:59

Batfish, you may want to re-post this in Infant Feeding which comes under the "Feed the world" section.

More traffic there and more specific to your enquiry. Might be faster than asking MNHQ to move your post.

ODog Tue 15-Dec-15 15:30:56

My DS never took expressed milk unless it was freshly expressed (which is a bit pointless). He only ever took formula from a bottle. Liked his champagne in champagne flute and his wine in a wine glass.

He would also only take formula from a mam bottle (also only like mam dummies) and it had to be slightly hotter than you feel is ok without it burning him.

BF babies tend to be a bit fussy with bottles ime unless they have them regularly from birth. Everyone I know has been different though so probably a bit of trial and error to find out what he likes.

Touchacat Tue 15-Dec-15 16:36:16

I think trying at different times in the day could help. If he is screaming then maybe he is too hungry and agitated. Not sure though. My DD was pretty good with bottle so don't really have tips but just keep persevering. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now