Talk

Advanced search

Constantly waking newborn baby to change bum

(13 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Mon 14-Dec-15 09:44:19

My ds is not quite a week old, he's happily BF and its all going ok except at night he's passing wind and a little poo all the time.
Last night between 11 and 3 I had to change him six times, he will be asleep from feeding or during feeding then poo again- because he's pooing so often his bum is sore so he us getting very upset during the nappy change.
In the day he's probably pooing 0-1 times per feed but at night its 1-2 poos/or wind and soiling per feed.
Is this normal?
Is there anything I can do?

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Dec-15 09:46:12

I just change every 2/3hours. They are always doing dirty farts - don't worry about it.

Probably constant changing is making him sore.

Getyercoat Mon 14-Dec-15 09:50:59

DS pooed at every feed during the night, which was four or five times. It settled down after 6 weeks or so.
I changed him every time, I had to.
On a happier note, he never, ever had nappy rash!

DeltaZeta Mon 14-Dec-15 09:52:06

It's normal for a newborn to poo every time they feed. Don't worry - it will soon settle down. I would only worry if the poo is frothy, watery or green.

I wouldn't leave him in a dirty nappy, but if you know he usually poos twice a feed, it's ok to wait for a few minutes after the first poo to see if part 2 comes along.

If he's getting sore, I swear by a generous smear of Metanium (sp?).

SnozzberryMincePie Mon 14-Dec-15 09:53:03

In the night I only change ds if I hear or smell him poo. I don't check him otherwise as this will wake him up. There is quite often a little one in there that I didn't notice but he doesn't get sore.

KatyN Mon 14-Dec-15 13:32:43

I always changed during a night feed to ensure my chap was wide awake enough to take a decent amount.. But if he's pooing more than once a feed it might be best to change just once at the end.
As suggested a decent smear of metinium ( I can't spell it either but it comes in a yellow box) and some nappy free time during the day
K

Littlef00t Tue 15-Dec-15 13:03:11

I always changed half way through the feed, and didn't worry if dd managed to sleep with a dirty bum. Poos are so runny at this age, and metanium is great.

CarrotPuff Tue 15-Dec-15 19:52:19

Completely normal, it will settle in a few weeks time. I would wait after 1st poo though to see if he does another one as pp suggested.

daluze Tue 15-Dec-15 20:33:46

Newborns hate nappy changes - it is unlikely that he screams because he is sore during the change, newborns just hate nappy changes in my experience. It will settle, especially when his vision becomes better. I have drawn a very simple smiley face with a black marker on a white paper and attached it above the changing table - from about 4 weeks my DS2 became fascinated by it and stopped crying being changed.
As above posters said, it is normal to poo every feed at this age, or several times per feed. Just change after the last one. And I was never waking him up is he was faet asleep (i.e. poo in the middle of the sleep) - that just did not seem fair on him. They don't sleep long anyway.
Metanium (yellow) is great if it becomes really sore, sudocream fine if just a bit red. And I assume you use only water to clean him, as wipes may irritate at this age.

bonzo77 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:54:18

My youngest is now 14 weeks, but we had similar to you with frequent poos and nappy rash from around 2 weeks onwards. It eventually got very bad and he had to be seen in a&e as the doctor couldn't get it under control and he was refusing feeds. if his bum is sore make sure you are wiping with just cotton wool and water (not wipes, that was our big mistake I think). I keep a cup of water on the changing table for this, and I still just use water when we are at home). you also need a barrier cream, we use vaseline day to day, sudocreme if red, metanium if the skin has broken, and if that does not improve it once the skin has broken then go to the GP. Try to keep the nappy off as much as possible. With DS I just wrapped him in a towel and let him poo in that. it was pretty grim and messy, but it did help. I only put a nappy on if I had to take him out the house.

Doublebubblebubble Tue 15-Dec-15 20:59:51

Yup I agree with pp. They just hate it don't they! Are you changing for a shart? (shit/fart =smear of poopy effluent) Or actual proper poos/wees. I change as I swap boobs so between feeding.

Nottalotta Wed 16-Dec-15 06:57:29

I would change for a wet trump.in this situation, happy changes are traumatic at that age!

I would use warm water and cotton wool rather than wipes. The only time ds aged nearly 5 months, has had a red/sore bum was after a day of using wipes a couple of times.
I use bepanthen as a barrier cream - stops poop sticking and prevents soreness.

Topsy34 Wed 16-Dec-15 08:29:04

Good advice above, i would use cotton wool and water to clean, then we talc his bum and groin to make sure its really dry then barrier cream on his bum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now