Talk

Advanced search

expressing

(10 Posts)
Ladypug Sun 13-Dec-15 18:58:54

Ok I know I sound a bit stupid but please could someone answer some questions about expressing? Firstly how often do you do it (I want to be able to have 1-2 feeds per day expressed) also how much do you do? Surely you don't fill a whole bottle? I normally feed for as long as she needs, not sure how much to fill a bottle? Also, does the milk need to be warmed up before feeding and is this warmed to room temperature or heated? I have an event this week so need to express do DH can do the feeds in my absence but as you can see I have no idea what im doing?!?

SoontobeMommyof2 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:27:11

Hey Ladypug I found that I could express 5oz roughly half from each side... that seemed to satisfy my little one. I suggest expressing first thing in the morning and to warm it up I stood it in a jug of boiling water. Hope this helps. I do always have some premixed formula just incase x

Ladypug Sun 13-Dec-15 19:44:55

Thank you - so 5oz per feed?

nicg85 Sun 13-Dec-15 20:09:48

My dd is nearly 7 weeks old and I'm going to try expressing this week for the first time as I have a Xmas night out planned. HV told me that an average feed is 4oz so expressing 5oz would be good just in case they are extra hungry. HV also said to express straight after a feed and not to be surprised if you can only express small amounts like 1oz each time. If you express after each feed you can keep topping up your milk in a 24 hour period in the same bottle. Also keep milk at back of fridge ( not near front or in door) and can keep in fridge for 5 days.

TheHelpfulHiker Sun 13-Dec-15 20:13:13

It's best to express in the morning. I used to feed DS and express at the same time, I could usually get 3-4oz each time. As pp said you can do a little at a time and mix, you can also freeze milk. It takes a bit of practice but is worth it in the end!

SoontobeMommyof2 Sun 13-Dec-15 20:16:38

In the mornings I expressed one side and fed from the other. I got a better flow this way

Ladypug Sun 13-Dec-15 20:26:24

Thanks everyone this is great!

GoldAlmond Sun 13-Dec-15 21:56:51

I express twice a day and get 150ml off each breast each session (I use a Spectra double pump so it only takes 10mins max on the pump. At one point my baby was refusing the breast so I had to express every 4-6hours but now he just has 2bottle feeds a day. He only drinks 150ml per feed so that means I save 2feeds every day (I pop them into milk storage bags and freeze so I have spare if I want to leave him with DH for day). I have a drawer full of frozen milk now!

Your supply will adapt to how often you feed and express.

My baby prefers expressed milk at room temp or slightly warm (if it's been in fridge I put it in hot water to warm through for 10mins) but he will also drink it straight from fridge. If it's cold the fat tends to stick to sides though so he'll get less rich fatty milk. I usually warm it through and shake bottle.

Expressed milk can keep at room temp for 6hours or in fridge for 7days I think.

scatterbrainedlass Mon 14-Dec-15 14:07:54

It can take a bit of trial and error to find out how much they will drink, I'm expressing so that DH can do bedtime sometimes, but last night DS took 5oz from the bottle then I had to BF to top him up. It doesn't help that I think he's having a growth spurt right now. I warm the milk up, room temp or blood temp is fine. I have a feeling they wouldn't be too impressed with milk straight from the fridge!

na5ima Tue 15-Dec-15 00:34:20

I use to get 35oz a day. My son was a drinker and gave him 7oz every 3hours.

I use to get a lot of milk in the morning 9oz per breast. The more you express the more milk you get.. So use to express every 3-4 hours..

I put them in the fridge and I use to put it in the big tommie tippie bottles - I bought separate lids

I use to get it out from the fridge and put it in a jug full of hot water for about 4-5min if that.. I

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now