Talk

Advanced search

Baby very unsettled 72 hours after vaccinations

(4 Posts)
TexGore Thu 10-Dec-15 17:12:07

My 8-week old daughter had her first vaccines two days ago (Tuesday afternoon) and since (it's now Thursday evening) she's been very unhappy - really crying a lot, impossible to settle her even with skin to skin and lots of contact, and (today) off her food. She'd usually have had 3 bottles by now (she's on 150ml a feed) but she's only managed 1.5 bottles.

Other than the skin-to-skin and cuddles we've tried winding her, a dummy etc. to no avail. She has had a mild temperature - straight after the vaccine, and again yesterday evening (37.9 was the highest), and in both cases a small dose of Calpol reduced it back to a normal level. Yet that didn't stop her crying - sometimes she's really distressed.

Should I be worried or is this normal after a vaccine?

Thanks

southlondonbaby Thu 10-Dec-15 20:11:21

Sounds exactly like our little one post vaccine. She is usually so smiley and happy, for 2-3 days after she whimpered, had a fever, cried, fed loads then not at all and generally was miserable. Horrible. But so much better than the diseases she was vaccinated against.

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 10-Dec-15 20:18:50

I think the meningitis b vaccine is included in the 8 week immunisations- this has been reported to cause slightly more reaction (eg slightly higher temp etc). My baby is prem and in hospital and had a bad reaction to it.
Keep an eye out for first 48 hours then go to GP if still not well/you're concerned.

TexGore Fri 11-Dec-15 16:14:10

Thanks both of you. In fact, I note she's also drooling a lot more and has red cheeks - and I think I can feel a small bump in her gum at the top front. I had no idea they could start teething at 9 weeks, but apparently they can - and ours might be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now