Talk

Advanced search

6 month old pinched

(12 Posts)
Suzy4321 Wed 09-Dec-15 18:51:12

Hi I know it's all part of development .. My baby girl pinches faces, hands and hair pulling.

Now she is 6 months so I can't really make her understand that it hurts (bloody hurts) but has anyone any ideas.

I try saying No but she just looks and carries on.

Suzy4321 Wed 09-Dec-15 18:51:39

Title should of said pinches

bittapitta Wed 09-Dec-15 18:52:40

Simply take her hands away each time.

If you are carrying her, put her down immediately and say no pinching. But she might be a bit young for that.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 09-Dec-15 18:52:45

Say no, remove her hands and distract her.

swashbucklecheer Wed 09-Dec-15 18:53:23

My 7mth old does this too especially under your eye. I don't think there's much you can do at this age except try to avoid the grasping hands!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 09-Dec-15 18:54:47

Try and distract/catch her hands before she does but when you don't manage that: don't say anything or react at all but calmly put her down somewhere safe and ignore her (briefly). She will get the message very quickly!

BertieBotts Wed 09-Dec-15 19:00:52

Ah she's practising the pincer grip, it's a reflex.

Tie hair up, don't wear dangly earrings, try to catch her hand in time, put her down if she's in a pinchy mood and try not to make fun, interesting sounds when she does it!

Maybe let her have some practice picking up small things e.g. individual peas and cheerios (might be a bit small yet), easy to grab toys, etc, and she might be less inclined to practise on you...?

Also, keep her nails cut short so it doesn't hurt as much.

BertieBotts Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:08

Honestly a six month old doesn't understand cause and effect well enough for putting them down/mini time out to work. It's a waste of time. You can do it if you want to but it won't make any difference.

Suzy4321 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:11:40

I'm going to try everything. Thanks .

She is little and I know it's all part of growing but omg why does she always get the extra bit of skin under chin and twist.

Artandco Wed 09-Dec-15 19:16:33

Take her hand away and hold your hand over it closed, so her hand is like a fist. Then tell her no pinching so she can see is something to do with her hand. You can look sad faced also over dramatically!

Ughnotagain Wed 09-Dec-15 19:19:17

Mine's the same. Necks are her speciality, it hurts like fuck! She also loves grabbing mouths (especially mine) and FIL's moustache... I just take her hand away, or hold her hand if she does it while she's feeding. Way too little to understand "no".

NickyEds Wed 09-Dec-15 21:23:31

My 5 month old is like this only she likes to practice on my boob. It really hurtssad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now