Talk

Advanced search

How many times do you change nappies over night?

(52 Posts)
MrsA2015 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:15:16

As the title says really, I've got 6 week old DD startung to sleep quite well through the night. So I'm wondering how many times should I be checking and changing, it's the only time I get to sleep so stuck as what to do? Do I wake her and change or change when she wakes for a feed? Throughout the day I've been checking roughly every 2 hour or even hourly since she's got a habit of having a wee not long after a fresh nappy.

Sorry long post just don't know what to do really.

P.s nappy rash is a problem recently, any tips? Apart from changing regularly and keeping area dry, currently applying johnsons baby 3 in 1 bottom cream.

TaliZorah Wed 09-Dec-15 14:17:37

I don't change him in the night, he either sleeps through or wakes once, changing him wakes him up.

Why on earth are you changing hourly?! You don't have to change after every wee! I change him when I feed him.

Sudocrem is great, bepanthen caused nappy rash but sudocrem cleared it up

TaliZorah Wed 09-Dec-15 14:18:29

And literally coat it on. I cover him in it and he hasn't had nappy rash again

UtterlyClueless Wed 09-Dec-15 14:20:21

Babies generally let you know when they need changing, I would leave her and only
Change her after a fees in the night.

It's what I do with my DS anyway

UtterlyClueless Wed 09-Dec-15 14:20:26

Feed

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 14:22:42

I never changed at night unless they woke up when using disposables. Well, unless they pooed, obviously.

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 14:23:39

Nappies can hold lots of baby pees!

kristine007 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:23:41

I used to change with every feed as he pooped all the time. Now my DS is 8 weeks - I change once if he pooped and it is quite early in the night.
Weleda nappy cream and Water wipes is what saves my baby's bum from rash.

SweetAdeline Wed 09-Dec-15 14:24:17

If nappy rash is a problem and you are already changing so frequently I'd consider changing nappy, wipes or cream brands and seeing if that helps.

I basically changed when they'd pooed. Which was quite a lot at that age!

BlueBananas Wed 09-Dec-15 14:25:31

You don't need to change after every wee! Goodness you must spend a fortune on nappies
DS2 is 5 weeks now and I just change him when he wakes
I tend to change him before I feed him so if he falls asleep on a bottle I can just put him straight down

MrsA2015 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:26:56

Not changing just checking hourly talizorah, she tends to do wet farts which I think triggered the nappy rash. Even then feel guilty if I find she's got a wet nappy but won't change because it's so soon after a new onesad

kristine007 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:28:21

BlueBananas - I used to change before the feed too but he tends to do a good poo right after the feed so I'd have to change him again anyway. Which wakes him up a bit and also all this bum lifting causes for some milk to come up. Arghh... no win situation .. smile

BertrandRussell Wed 09-Dec-15 14:28:35

You honestly don't have to change after every pee!

southlondonbaby Wed 09-Dec-15 14:28:39

If you manage to clear up the current rash, a slather of coconut oil on the tush is a good barrier cream for us. We change our 14 week old when we realise she's pooed. We also hold her over a potty in the morning after she wakes up, and -when we can be bothered- after a feed. That helps her with gas too because of the squat position.

At night she wakes up between 2-4 times for a feed and we change her maybe once if we think she's pooed. She always has a wet nappy in the morning. No rashes yet, although I hear teething can bring them on as poo changes.

DangerMouth Wed 09-Dec-15 14:30:33

Sudacreme after each change, always. Never had nappy rash.

I only change in night if l heard a poo. Thankfully dd2 seems to have stopped night poos so I've stopped night changes smile

TaliZorah Wed 09-Dec-15 14:31:10

MrsA you don't need to smile just put on loads of cream and even if there's a tiny poo stain it won't touch the skin. When you change the cream should still thickly be there, that way it'll be fine

MrsA2015 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:37:04

Just to clear up a misconception.

I'm not changing every hour or after every wee.

Just CHECKING as I don't want her staying in poo because of the rash

Changing after every poo which is still quite often or just before a feed so she can sleep with a clean bum.

TaliZorah Wed 09-Dec-15 14:40:30

You don't need to check hourly though OP honestly. A small poo stain from a wet fart won't do any harm, change her if it's a proper poo.

What nappies are you using? These absorb any poo and wee so it won't harm their skin

m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=278169052&gclid=CPSDooOBz8kCFSrpwgodBjsKIg

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 09-Dec-15 14:41:01

You really don't need to change after every wee. You could be exacerbating it by constantly changing and wiping.

I find metanium excellent for nappy rash, a good barrier cream such as sudocrem care and protect.

If it's persistent then I agree about changing wipes and nappies, do you use a non fragranced wipe?

Unless my children have poo'd they only get changed 4-5 times a day (they are older). I don't change them overnight unless the nappy is full. Babies wee constantly, checking every hour is pointless and to be honest, a waste of nappies.

Domino777 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:43:26

Lots of sudocrem and let them sleep through if they can. Only check when waking for a feed. Only change if a poo.

LaurieLemons Wed 09-Dec-15 14:45:25

I change DS when he does a poo, but then he doesn't poo that often. I also coat him with nappy cream, have you been doing this since birth? If not it might clear up if you stick with it. I never change him overnight now.

comeagainforbigfudge Wed 09-Dec-15 14:48:52

MrsA we changed dd before a feed/or when poo'd at that stage, even overnight.

Once she settled into a good sleeping pattern, nappy only changed overnight if poo'd as she dropped night feeds of her own accord 😃. During the day though, it's roughly 3 hourly changes.

Anyway, with regards to nappy rash. I swear by metanium. Lovely yellow sticky stuff. You need the smallest amount as it spreads well. Thin coating. We've just had as bout of nappy rash. Cleared up well with it.

Oh and nappy free time. Let some air around it.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 09-Dec-15 14:52:26

Metanium is by far the best nappy rash cream.

If you're changing often then the wipes could be irritating her. I'd try using reusable wipes with just water at home and water wipes (can bulk buy on Amazon) when out and see if that helps.

And don't change at night unless they poo.

na5ima Wed 09-Dec-15 15:02:21

I don't change unless nor do I check at night. My DS sleeps for 12 hours so I wouldn't dare to wake him up.

I change DS every 3-4 hours.. I usually do it before his feed time so that every 3-4 hours.

He hasn't had nappy rash but if I notice redness usually put sudacream

MrsA2015 Wed 09-Dec-15 15:03:38

Thanks everyone for the input. Currently using pampers nappy and alternating between huggies pure wipes/cotton pads and water. Mainly because I bought a shed load of cotton pads!

So looks like the general rule is to change when they wake during the night then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now