Talk

Advanced search

Car seat hell - help

(6 Posts)
Allthefours Tue 08-Dec-15 16:02:09

Does anyone have any miracle ideas to get my DS (10 weeks) to relax and chill out in his car seat?

He screams blue murder every time he goes in it. Sometimes he will settle down but as soon as the car stops (at traffic lights for example) he starts to scream again and we then go round in another cycle of screaming before he settles again. I went into town today, it was a 20 minute drive home and he screamed all the way back and took ages to settle once home. As a result of the upset he gets so hot and bothered which doesn't help either.

Would a different car seat help? We have the cybex Aton Q at the moment. He does seem very snug in it and you can't remove the head hugger which can appear quite restrictive. But the safety aspects are crucial.

I've tried white noise in the car and has no effect. If there is a passenger, sometimes someone sitting with him helps - but if I have to out on my own with him that's a no go! It doesn't matter if it's my car or DH car, he just hates being in the car seat/car.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to go out in the car at all. My anxiety levels increase rapidly at the thought of going out in the car and out in general in case he screams constantly.

PhoenixRises Tue 08-Dec-15 16:16:41

Have you tried a mirror attached to the seat so he can see you? It's possibly an abandonment thing?

RB68 Tue 08-Dec-15 16:34:09

or a bright little toy string across so there is something to distract him. Perhaps a cardi or soft top of yours for the smell??

Needtobebetter Tue 08-Dec-15 16:55:10

I'd try a different seat if you have any friends with a different seat, my DS hated the car seat with the head hugger in it as his shape just didn't fit comfortably. I took it out and used a wedge under him and he was a lot happier.

I second the suggestion of using the mirror, my DS2 loves it as he can see himself.

maymow Tue 08-Dec-15 17:02:35

It's so tough, we had a car screamer. He's so little still, it might just be that he's not with you and can't understand why... I found that it took a good few months for DD to get past this stage and able to be interested in toys and work out she could see me in the mirror. For ages I blamed the car seat but realised it was the separation that was the problem, a different car seat wouldn't have helped. Now she is quite happy in the car, as long as she has her nursery songs playing incessantly...

fredandme123 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:40:44

Fred got better when he could go into the toddler seat (still ERF) as was less squished in but think they need to be around 9kg for that so you have a fair wait. Also second a mirror. It's so sweet when they work out that thy can see you get lots of lovely smiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now