Talk

Advanced search

I need help. Can anyone help with 3yr olds routine

(9 Posts)
Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 07-Dec-15 19:31:27

I have a wonderful 3yr old (4in the Spring) DS. Recently I've felt that things and going rapidly in decline as I'm unsure how to discipline him now he's older.
He's tired, looks tired, behaves tired and the afternoons rapidly decend as he gets more tired. He gets up at 5, has always been an early riser but now he's in nursery he is just becoming exhusted. I cannot get him to sleep in the day, nor can I get him to stay asleep till 6:30-7 and him get a few hours extra. He goes to bed at 6:30-7 (normally 7 but he's just so exhusted recently)
He seems to get silly when he's tired and I just "loose him" I ask him to do the same thing over and over and he just ignores me, it's like he can't hear me. He's all in my face, climbing all over me, winding the dog up, just general excited over-tiredness but i have no control over it.
Can anyone help? What's the routine with your 3 year olds? I don't know if I'm expecting to much from him but I feel like my sweet little boy is turning into a naughty boy and I don't want to go down this route anymore!

Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 07-Dec-15 19:56:15

KatyN Mon 07-Dec-15 21:36:38

My 4 year old (just turned) wakes up at 6:30 and goes to bed at 7. No naps during the day except exceptional circumstances like a long journey.
I don't think he's cope loosing 1.5 hrs sleep by getting up earlier. He has a gro clock and we are really strict that he's not allowed out of bed before the sun comes up. He's only used it for 6 months or so though. We are also pretty harsh about bedtime.
How much does he do during he day?? My chap needs quiet time or he gets ratty. Normally this is in front of the telly but sometimes we will read books. After a full day 8-5 at nursery I wouldn't expect him to do anything other than watch telly and have a bath.. He's just too tired.

Does that help at all?? K

Figgygal Mon 07-Dec-15 21:40:34

My ds is 4 in a few weeks he's usually up 6.45/7 and in bed by 7.30 each night. He doesn't nap in day either only sometimes at weekends when we in the car.

How longs he been at preschool?

Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 07-Dec-15 21:47:38

Helpful thank you. It's deffo the early mornings. We do play dates some days and generally play in the house. I think we need to focus on the mornings. I will look at the clock now.
He has had a bug recently so his sleep was really affected and although he is better, he is still getting up trying to get into our bed a few times in the night and then the early start. He really needs more sleep and maybe I'm focusing on the naps rather than the wake up time. Thank you

Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 07-Dec-15 21:48:51

He started in September. So he's getting nearly 2 hours a night less sleep than yours. And broken sleep at that recently. I need to crack this!

Shellwedance Mon 07-Dec-15 21:51:25

My 3 year old goes to bed at 7 and gets up around 7. I also found the grow clock to be a big help and having lots of talks around staying in bed until Mummy says it's time to get up. I don't think that many children nap at this age so I think it's probably the wake up time you need to work ion. Good luck smile

Peppaismyhomegirl Mon 07-Dec-15 21:52:12

Thanks everyone!

minipie Mon 07-Dec-15 23:21:37

I agree it is the wake up time that needs sorting long term BUT short term it might be worth getting some naps into him to fix the overtiredness, as that will make it easier to sort the early wakings. So, maybe a week of taking him somewhere in the car at lunchtime (assuming he will drop off in the car?) so that he is not overtired at bedtime and has caught up on some sleep deficit. Then start using the gro clock, go gradually ie start at 5.15, then 5.30 etc, use a star chart and/or chocolate for sleeping till the sun appears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now