Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else got a non-walking toddler?

(15 Posts)
Sammysquiz Mon 07-Dec-15 15:26:47

Can you even call them a toddler when they don't toddle?!

DS2 is 20 months old and can crawl slowly & pull himself up onto furniture, but is nowhere near walking. He's been recently seen by a paediatrician who diagnosed him with low tone and hypermobility, but is also going to have to have a hip X-ray and a blood test to rule out anything more serious. I'm trying and failing not to worry. Both my DH & I walked late, as did most of my nieces and nephews, and DS1 didn't walk til he was 18 months, so there seems to be quite a genetic link.

But my god he's heavy. And of course the heavier he gets the harder it is for him to walk, so we're caught in a Catch 22 situation. I try not to carry him much as he's destroying my back, but it's unavoidable a lot of the time.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Buttercup27 Mon 07-Dec-15 15:29:04

I has a non walking toddler. He walked the week before he turned 2. Unfortunately ds2 was born 2 months earlier. Having 2 not walking was hard work.
Ds crawled so well and was brilliant at climbing that he couldn't see the point of walking.

passmethewineplease Mon 07-Dec-15 15:34:36

Yeah, my two year old tarted walking a week before he turned two. His walking is still very immature.

Try not worry, I know it's easier said than done! I didn't think he'd ever walk.

passmethewineplease Mon 07-Dec-15 15:35:03

Whoops started not tarted!blush

Sammysquiz Mon 07-Dec-15 16:08:34

Thanks Buttercup and Passme - good to know others have had a positive outcome. I can definitely relate to feeling like he'll never walk!

EverySecondCounts Mon 07-Dec-15 16:22:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sammysquiz Mon 07-Dec-15 16:36:03

Thanks EverySecond, at least on the plus side I've never had such toned arms!

One day hopefully this will just be an amusing anecdote to tell when he's just won a gold medal at the olympics wink

KatyN Mon 07-Dec-15 16:44:27

My son was a late walker. He had rubbish tummy tone and hyper mobile hips. He saw a physio from birth until he was 2.
The physio was amaxingg and helping once he had the muscle tone to crawl and then walk so hopefully you'll get the help you both need. A physio also might be able to help with your back too??

Kx

Sammysquiz Mon 07-Dec-15 19:42:33

The paediatrician said she'd refer him to the physio, but apparently there's quite a long waiting list in our area. I'm doing lots of soft-play, and putting things he loves on the sofas to encourage him to stand to get them, so hoping that'll all help. And yep, think you're right that I'd benefit from a physio too! He has a bad cold at the moment & just wants to be held, but it's like having a huge koala clinging off me grin

Littlef00t Wed 09-Dec-15 08:59:44

Is he interested in being in his feet? If you hold his hands for balance does he try to walk?

Sammysquiz Wed 09-Dec-15 14:44:48

He does like being on his feet, especially as we give him loads of encouragement so he enjoys the praise! When we hold his hands he tries to walk, but he doesn't bend his knees so sort of goose-steps, and I can feel that he's nowhere near balanced enough to stand, so if I were to let go he would immediately fall over.

SpikeWithoutASoul Wed 09-Dec-15 14:53:43

My DD didn't walk until she was 2. She has hypermobility. It was so hard watching other kids run about and worrying she'd never get there. She was also getting heavier and heavier due to not moving around as much as she should.

Fast forward two years and only the odd positions she chooses to sit in give her away as such a late walker. She is long and lean now and came second in her running race at nursery in the Autumn!

It's so hard to help as they have to want to keep trying. Keep doing what you're doing and he'll get there.

Sammysquiz Fri 11-Dec-15 07:30:35

Thanks Spike - it's reassuring to hear of other children with hypermobility who ended up walking normally. Undoes some of the worry I created for myself by reading stuff on Google!!

whatsoever Sat 12-Dec-15 17:57:44

My DS didn't walk until 17m and was very heavy so I feel your pain! He still wanted to be carried a lot until well after 2 as well. He's now 3 and I'm heavily pregnant with pelvic girdle pain so I can't really carry him anymore, but he'd still like me to carry him a lot now if I could!

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 12-Dec-15 18:00:31

Will PM you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now