Talk

Advanced search

10 month sleep regression ongoing for more than two months!

(7 Posts)
SallyMischievo Sun 06-Dec-15 12:27:49

* Reposting from Sleep section as no replies and I am desperate for advice! Sorry for lengthy post!

DD who is almost one was a brilliant sleeper until a couple of months ago, (biggest apologies if it appears I am being smug - I appreciate how lucky we were!) but now we have so many sleep issues that I don't know where to begin. I would be incredibly grateful for some advice as I am feeling at a loss to know what do.

Right from being tiny, DD would sleep for 4 hours in one stretch, at 8 weeks she dropped her night feed, and from 12 weeks, she was sleeping 10-11 hours at night. However, since early October, she has been waking up 2 or 3 times every night, crying and standing up in her cot. On a 'good' night, she will feed sleepily for half an hour to an hour each time she wakes and go back to sleep but more often than not, she is awake for hours at a time and full of beans, wanting to speedily crawl around, cruise the furniture, leaf through her books, play and babble away. It seems like she just can't switch off! (I never encourage her to play during the night and keep the lights dimmed and interaction to a minimum). I originally put this down to the sleep regression that can occur at around ten months and told myself it was just a phase, however it doesn't seem to be improving and weeks of broken sleep are taking their toll.

Two additional major issues: she resists sleeping at home during the day and won't go down for naps in her cot anymore so I resort to walking for miles with her so she will sleep in the buggy - often she is so tired that she will sleep for 3 hours. I am finding this exhausting after only averaging 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and it means I can't get anything done at home. We also struggle to make it to any groups or activities as we are both so tired.

Also, I have been attempting to phase out breastfeeding and have in the last couple of weeks cut down to just feeding first thing and at bedtime, (I have been giving cow's milk during the day). However I am still feeding her to sleep at night, (trickier than it used to be as she often tries to wriggle out of my arms and struggles to switch off, even when I have tried to prepare her for bed with a quiet bedtime routine) and I put her on the breast to try and settle her and get her back to sleep when she wakes up during the night so I don't see how I can stop feeding at the moment and I am despairing as I would really like to stop breastfeeding now. I would be so grateful for any advice. This is really taking its toll on my relationship with DP, (he sleeps in the spare room and DD is in with me) and I feel like I am never on good form these days as I am so exhausted! Many thanks.

araminem Sun 06-Dec-15 15:48:01

Sorry cannot offer you much advice. I suspect we are going through the 10 month sleep regression too ('only' week 3 here). So offering cake and hoping for some advice.

SallyMischievo Sun 06-Dec-15 21:29:54

Thank you so much for replying, Araminem. Good luck!

araminem Mon 07-Dec-15 06:45:22

It seems that no one has much advice for us confused

waterrat Mon 07-Dec-15 09:36:35

Oh gosh sounds hard.

I can only speak from my experience but you need to stop bf at night and let her fall asleep on her own. If she wakes at night leave her to babble. If she cries go in and say sleepy time now back to sleep. Don't pick her up !

Night time no feeding....at bedtime let her shout or whatever put some toys in the cot and let her play till she falls asleep. Go in and out of room but she has to fall asleep on her own.

A couple of nights and she will learn how to go to sleep herself.

Seal15 Mon 15-Feb-16 23:23:06

Oh poor you. That sounds tough. We are going through a similar thing except DD was only a good sleeper until 15 weeks - it's so much crueler when they take the sleep away! sad I'm afraid I can't offer any advice really as we have ended up with DD sleeping our bed every night and I came here looking for some answers myself! I really hope you have had some more sleep smile

Scattymum101 Tue 16-Feb-16 01:13:44

Same here. Up with dd2 on our fourth wake up of the night so far.
She was always a decent sleeper, usually only waking for one feed and straight back to sleep. Skipped the four month regression which dd1 took 5 months to get past but the 8/9 months one is still happening at 12 months.
It doesn't help that she was really poorly with a chest infection and a cough for 6 weeks where the only way she could sleep was propped up on one of us therefore we started co sleeping.
We now cannot get her to stay in her cot and she's waking up to 14 times a night. She goes over to sleep ok but when she wakes she wants cuddled. If I cuddle her and put her down she's awake again within half an hour. If I leave her in the cot she rages for hours and wakes dd1. I'm back at work now and on my knees.
We're doing a gentle sleep training with her where we're gradually moving the goalposts. I've read the no cry sleep solutions book and prefer the slow and gentle approach to CIO as I just can't do it.
We're on around night 7 and seeing some improvement. We were up a lot last night but she went back over at 4 then slept til 7 in her cot which hasn't happened in ages.

What we're doing is
- cuddling and feeding til drowsy at bedtime then popping in cot with light show, music, dummy and lovey
- going in to reassure her every 3 mins (she gets more upset if I stay in the room) and lifting her for a cuddle if she gets really upset
- trying to get her to stay in her room as long as possible each night without bringing her in with us while remembering we still have work and need to function.

It's having a very slow effect but hopefully we'll get there in another week or two.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now