Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

8 year old with greasy hair

(7 Posts)
Camarg0 Sun 06-Dec-15 09:04:47

DD1 is 8.5 and over the last few weeks her hair has become quite greasy at the roots.

Her hair is long and prone to tangles so she always use a conditioner in the lengths but not the roots. Could the conditioner be weighing her hair down and causing this?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best products to use please?

blahblahblah2000 Sun 06-Dec-15 09:09:16

How often is she washing it?

PenelopePitstops Sun 06-Dec-15 09:13:31

How many times is it washed per week?

Two schools of thought... One is to use only conditioner and no shampoo. The other is find a light conditioner and sleep with a silk pillow to avoid tangles. Also try plaiting her hair in bed.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 06-Dec-15 09:27:01

is this not just an age thing? dd1 is s.5, and has very thick hair
until she was 6 we could get away with a weekly wash
now it's twice weekly, and I generally give it a squirt of Baptiste to avoid a third wash, but I think that will be unavoidable as she edges towards puberty.

we don't use conditioner, but use a detangling spray after washing and towel drying, as the spray is less greasy and easier to target away from the roots.

Battleshiphips2 Sun 06-Dec-15 10:02:55

Does she shower herself. She may not be rinsing her hair enough after the conditioner or using too much. Also how does she dry her hair. If you use a dryer on it don't use conditioner and don't brush it while it's wet. Dry it off quite a bit using the dryer and your fingers then try brushing. The tangles usually come out a lot easier.

Camarg0 Sun 06-Dec-15 18:35:56

Apologies for only just returning, I've had a mad cleaning and ironing frenzy.

Thank you all for your help and advice!

We were only washing it once a week but recently upped it to twice, with a bit of dry shampoo when needed.

She has recently started showering herself so the not rinsing properly suggestion could definitely be possible.

Thanks for the suggestion re drying and then brushing, I'll certainly try that.

I've washed her hair tonight with a different shampoo but avoided conditioner. She often has it plaited before bed to avoid tangles and she has a silk pillowcase that she hasn't used for ages because I have it instead.

We'll see how we get on! Thanks again.

megletthesecond Sun 06-Dec-15 23:38:05

Mine had their hair washed 4 times a week with the anti nit shampoo once they started school. Never conditioned it. Their hair doesn't get greasy, although 9yo ds might need to up to 5 washes a week soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now