Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to do about new toy post tantrum?

(10 Posts)
Acunningruse Sun 06-Dec-15 08:17:54

Yesterday 3yo Ds was at a children's Christmas party and was not very well behaved. There was a lot of shouting 'no' when he didn't want to do something, he was reluctant to say 'thank you' for his gift and as we were leaving, refused to say thank you to the host child and then threw his gift on the floor. I immediately confiscated the toy and told him off. He knows he has done wrong as he sobbed 'sorry mummy' all the way home and the first thing he said this morning was 'are you still cross mummy?' blush
My question is what to do with the toy he received yesterday? Do I:
A) give it back and say nothing
B) give it back with lecture about behaving nicely
C) let him earn it back (not sure if hes too young to understand this as he is only 3 and 2 months).
Any advice appreciated!

eternalopt Sun 06-Dec-15 08:27:50

Do you think he was just tired/over excited/over awed?

I'd be inclined to go for option b (just a short lecture though so it's easy to digest), so that he knows you don't stay cross forever and an apology and a change of behaviour has a good result. Agree he's too young for c.

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 06-Dec-15 08:29:48

I agree with the poster above - option b with a short lecture and then a cuddle.

Suzietwo Sun 06-Dec-15 08:39:07

He's probably forgotten about the toy (assuming it's out of sight) so I'd just let it go back among his things in a few days without comment.

If he hasn't forgotten and is asking for it is tell him he wasn't having it until he stopped asking (I don't like being hounded for things).

I think the day after is too late for a lecture/cuddle for a 3 year old.

attheendoftheday Sun 06-Dec-15 09:23:18

I would wait until you catch some good behaviour and then tell him you're so pleased he can have his toy back.

rainydaygrey Sun 06-Dec-15 09:25:47

B, but not a lecture, just a couple of words.

DD is the same age and is normally a delight but all the excitement lately has been far too much for her to handle. I'd go easy on him.

BoboChic Sun 06-Dec-15 09:28:03

Agree with other posters - your DS is very little and his behaviour, which he full well realised did not meet your usual expectations or his usual standards, was probably provoked by over stimulation at a party. Go easy on him! He's just a baby really. You don't want him to lose trust in you or think you are unjust.

Walkingonsunshine00 Sun 06-Dec-15 09:40:06

Go with something like:
Do you know why mummy took the toy of you?
I don't like it when you behave like that
Hand him the toy and cuddle smile

lljkk Sun 06-Dec-15 10:14:46

B) He's 3yo. They aren't known for good emotional control.

waterrat Mon 07-Dec-15 15:47:29

B. When my son was that age he qas a monster when over excited. He is nearly 4 now and very different. They don't have the control over their behaviour that we have...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now