Talk

Advanced search

Question about baby on Antibiotics?

(5 Posts)
IMBWater Sat 05-Dec-15 13:55:23

My DD (5months) is on a course of antibiotics as a precaution to try and clear a cough she's had for a few months before the doctor sends her for more tests with the paediatrician.

She's been on them for a few days now, and has another 3 days left. She's very sleepy all the time; has gone from 3 naps a day to only waking for nappy changes and a bottle, and has quite bad diarrhoea. Otherwise she's ok in herself although she still has the cough.

I do have a few questions that the doctor/chemist didn't really answer for me:

As she's not actually ill am I ok to carry on as normal? I.e. Take her out in a sling/pushchair and let her sleep in there? I need to go to the post office to get a christmas present and card sent to Australia and could do with posting those today (DP is at work til after closing), and I need to pop to my mums and drag my teenage brother out of bed before he's late for work- my mums away. I've been in for the last few days with her. Obviously she'd have a coat and/or blanket, hat, and gloves as the weather here is cold.

Do I need to increase the amount she's feeding? She's formula fed and takes 8oz every 3-4 hours normally but has dropped to 5oz since being on the medicine. She has a bottle of water in the morning, and in the evening and takes 1-2oz per bottle, and is still doing so. Do I need to increase her water in take while she's on her antibiotics?

Is there anything else I need to be doing to help her feel better?

Thanks in advance for reading and replying.

strawberryandaflake Sat 05-Dec-15 14:10:14

She would y be on antibiotics if she wasn't actually ill.

IMBWater Sat 05-Dec-15 19:26:45

Doctor said when I took her that DDs chest was clear and her throat was clear of infection so bar the cough she's not actually ill

MrsBojingles Sat 05-Dec-15 22:57:52

Treat her as normal unless anyone or the drug leaflet told you otherwise! Fresh air etc is always good for babies IMO ;)

spillyobeans Sat 05-Dec-15 23:00:45

My 6 month old on antibiotics too as croupy cough not cleared even though chest is clear. My ds isnt sleeping v well (but hes a v bad sleeper anyway) bit of a dodgy tum too. But ive been treating him as normal, going out and about etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now