Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Coping with colic and reflux

(9 Posts)
GoldAlmond Fri 04-Dec-15 22:17:03

DS is 3months, has suffered colic and reflux since birth. He's on Infancol and Colief with every feed and occasional Dentinox.

He only has breastmilk, mainly expressed into bottles due to poor latch.

Almost every eve he screams and cries on and off for hours. I end up walking him around in sling for hours. It's heart-breaking to see him in such pain. I thought it was getting better as this week he's had a few better eves where he's cried less, but tonight he's cried from 5pm and is still distressed. He's also had 3 colds back to back. I'm exhausted. I'm recovering from severe HG, am very underweight and struggling to keep much food down (awaiting gastroscopy in case lingering sickness is more than hormonal).

Any tips? When will his symptoms improve? Should I push for tests eg test for cows milk allergy?

FATEdestiny Fri 04-Dec-15 22:24:16

I'd give formula if it was me. Expressing us rarely as effective as breast feeding and you are poorly anyway, which will affect your milk.

He could well just be screaming due to hunger

GoldAlmond Fri 04-Dec-15 23:05:09

It's not hunger, he usually has 150ml every 2-3 hours (I've got a supply of frozen expressed milk to top up with when I can't express enough).
Not keen to switch to FF in case it makes his colic worse.

WelliesTheyAreWonderful Sat 05-Dec-15 01:05:47

Go to your GP and ask for Gaviscon Infant sachets for the reflux. I will never forget DS screaming with reflux, it was awful. Gaviscon sorted it out quickly and now it's under control. There is a risk of constipation with it but wasn't a problem for DS, you just have to keep an eye out for it. Good on you for breast pumping, I did the same because of poor latch and know how hard it is. Also ask your doctor if there is anything in your diet that may be making reflux worse. This will get better, flowers for you until it does though.

angelicjen Sun 06-Dec-15 20:59:54

I really feel for you, seeing them in pain is so horrible. My 4 month has reflux and used to scream with the acid burn in the middle of the night. Ranitidine has calmed this right down. Speak to your hv to see if it would help yours. I've also cut dairy, wheat, spice, chocolate and orange juice from my diet. It's dead boring but has helped. Check first though, you don't want to do it unless you have to. Greenish slimy nappies are a sign of intolerances.

MrsBojingles Sun 06-Dec-15 22:48:19

Go to your GP and ask for gaviscon or ranitidine- I went through 6 months of hell because I was sleep deprived terrified of medical help after a rude consultation hmm

Gaviscon you can mix in with his bottles and ranitidine I believe you have a tube that goes in direct.

It's worth checking your diet - I found eggs were the issue with DD, which she eats fine now, but I seem to have issues with instead, go figure!

MrsBojingles Sun 06-Dec-15 22:53:44

Also wanted to say DDs reflux vanished overnight when she learnt to sit up at 5/6 months, and I think this is quite common, though not always the case.

Check out the Facebook group "living with reflux" it was very helpful

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 06-Dec-15 22:57:40

Keep head above belly at all times, prevents the acid burn. Towel under mattress etc. Cushion for nappy change.
The stomach musel hasnt closed properly happens about 6 months around the time they sit up.

Sleepybunny Sun 06-Dec-15 23:07:45

God I clearly remember the hell of reflux. Here's some tips i learnt along the way.

1)breast is definitely best. Formula made it worse.

2) expressing is exhausing, get your partner or someone to help do a bit of the cuddling and settling in the evening.

3) dummies, which i was firmly against actually helped as it encouraged swallowing.

4) Wind makes acid worse, keep upright after feeds (sling is best as you know).

5) avoid time in the car seat. Always seemed to cause a flare up when taken out.

6) gripe water is good, can be bought over the counter. Helps neutralise acid and bring up wind. You can use it with infacol.

7) geta referal to a dietian, speak to your GP about gaviscon and ranitidine

8) protect your mental health. It's hard going, look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now