Talk

Advanced search

Help with Balance Bike (Please)

(7 Posts)
hypercalifragilistic Wed 02-Dec-15 16:45:31

I am buying a balance bike for my little one's Christmas, but have no idea which one is the best.

Wooden ones seen cheaper, but are they any good?

Aluminium ones seem very light, they are just really expensive.

Anyone has any advice or experience on the subject?

(apologies if it has been asked before, all the threads I found discuss the idea of the bike, but not the bikes themselves)

ArriettyMatilda Wed 02-Dec-15 17:36:56

I would also like to know this for my two year old. I think we'll go aluminium, as they seem sturdier and more like a real bike. Other than that I have no idea. Any recommendations would be great.

keely79 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:41:15

We had a strider bike (aluminium) which was a mixed success. Bought it for my daughter who never got on with it (or balance bikes generally) and refused to use it. However, my son then came along and absolutely loved it and got the hang of it really quickly (and was super speedy on it). He then transitioned really well (at 3 and a half) to a pedal bike. So it worked brilliantly for him but not for DD.

It has lasted really well....

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 02-Dec-15 17:48:54

We cut the pedals off an old tatty bike. They were riding a proper bike in two weeks (age 4) so a new one would be waste of money, just a thought

jellyjiggles Wed 02-Dec-15 17:50:54

We've gone for wooden because it's lighter to control.

Ditsy79 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:47:51

We have bought a Stompee balance bike for 2 yr old DD for Xmas. It was less than £50 on Amazon, and had good reviews. We like the fact it has air-filled tyres and also front brakes. DD has obviously not had a chance to try it yet, but we are impressed with the quality.

Upatnight Wed 02-Dec-15 23:34:46

Islabike. Hideously expensive but worth every penny. Ours has been through four children, used and abused, left out in the rain, never had anything wrong with it, so light I can carry it half a mile to school when toddler having a tantrum, taught our kids to ride a bike (DS3 is 3 and riding a pedal bike, DS4 is zooming at breakneck speeds on his Islabike balance bike) it still looks smart, they sell for 3/4 their original value on eBay and I was stopped and offered £50 in the street for ours the other day!
I should work for their PR team....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now