Talk

Advanced search

Self soothing

(9 Posts)
Merlin333 Wed 02-Dec-15 00:15:43

I seem to keep reading about people who pop there baby down in the cot and they drift off to sleep!! My 8 wk old will only go off if being held and rocked and even when shes nodded off i need to keep hold of for ar least half an hr or she wakes.....what am i doing wrong? 😕

RevsDeCub Wed 02-Dec-15 00:45:19

It just depends on the baby, my little one is 10 weeks & can self sooth & has done since day 1. Trust me, it's not my parenting!!
He's just a laid back little guy. I do use a dummy though as I find it helps his go to sleep more easily, have you tried that?
Anyway, just want to reassure you that you are doing nothing wrong. Babies have their own personalities just like we do!

Nanofone Wed 02-Dec-15 01:04:30

My DGD still can't do this! As a baby she always needed cuddling/feeding to sleep. As a toddler she's still very restless and needs company to settle. I think children vary in their ability to drop off just as adults do, but those who find it hard will continue to need help for months and possibly years.

ODog Wed 02-Dec-15 12:13:05

My DS just did for the first time ever - he's 18mo!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 02-Dec-15 12:14:28

You can't expect a baby to do this at 8 weeks. Needing to be held is completely normal

weeblueberry Wed 02-Dec-15 12:46:29

Do these people you read about have eight week old babies?? I've literally never heard of anyone's eight month old self soothing on a regular basis. DD2 did once and never ever again. She's 8mo now...

waitingforsomething Wed 02-Dec-15 13:02:01

Mine both could do this from about 12 weeks after a bit of shush patting to help them learn to fall asleep in their beds. It is impossible with tiny babies- they don't understand and don't have the capacity to learn. Only a very few babies will do this

justanewmummy Wed 02-Dec-15 21:07:24

My DD self settles at 10wks - I didn't realise it was so unusual. Mind you my older DD has never even once self settled and she's 22mo!

Rosenwyn1985 Thu 03-Dec-15 22:35:42

Both my boys have been great sleepers, my oldest slept through at 12 weeks, having moved to one feed a night at about 2 weeks old. My second (now 14.5 weeks) went to one feed at a week and slept through just before 9 weeks. What have I done to achieve this? Absolutely nothing! Both of mine are relaxed kids (doesn't get that from me!) and my second is so chilled he smiled and chatted through his injections today (to the astonishment of nurses and me!). Lots of people I know have the same trouble you do. Sad to say it's just luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now