Talk

Advanced search

6month old not gaining weight.

(8 Posts)
imwithspud Tue 01-Dec-15 20:59:08

Well she is gaining weight, just very very slowly. Bit of back story, when she was born she gained weight fabulously, I think she only lost an ounce or two after birth and the midwife was really happy with her progress. I took her to get weighed 4 weeks ago, after not taking her since she was a newborn (second DD, much more relaxed this time round). She had dropped a centile but they were happy, just said to come back in 4 weeks time to keep track. So I took her again today, and she's only gained a small amount - causing her to drop another centile (or two, don't have her red book to hand to check).

Anyway the 'main' HV, who is lovely had a look at DD and had a chat with me. She didn't seemed too concerned as DD is happy, alert, having wet & dirty nappies, is meeting milestones etc. But recommended that I take her to see our GP just to get her checked over, which I will.

It's been on my mind all day and now I'm worrying over it. She is breastfed, feeds roughly every 3hours although has been going as long as 4 lately, no latch issues that I am aware of and still wakes in the night but not always for milk. We've just started solids but progress is slow.

Part of me is sure everything's fine and her weight is just evening out (both me, DP and DD1 are on the short side), she was born one lb heavier than DD1 and appears to be longer than she was too. But another part of me is thinking up all sorts of horrible scenarios about what could be wrong. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance either way.

Kent1982 Tue 01-Dec-15 22:12:03

My son is exact same, we went to gp, then sent to hospital as routine. They did a number of tests. But all come back fine. They asked loads of questions and then wrote me a really long letter with all the information I gave them saying they were not really concerned but will see him in a couple of months to ensure his weight hasn't slowed.

I started weaning at 6 month and now at 8 month his weight has shown a perfect increase since 6 month. I'm not sure what was going on but I was very very upset and concerned. As with you he meets all the milestones and he is one lively boy.

I'm pleased now that we went to the hospital. Try not to worry too much my boy is not even skinny looking he just looks in proportion.

imwithspud Tue 01-Dec-15 22:33:46

Thanks! Yes dd2 looks in proportion too. Not as chubby as dd1 was as a baby but she is longer. They have very different builds.

I will try and get in with the GP sometime this week or next week, they tend to be busy this time of year. I'd be more than happy to be referred to the hospital for tests if need be, even if it's just to rule anything out. The neurotic mother in me is worrying that there's something wrong but logically it doesn't seem like there is.

I guess babies don't always gain weight in line with what the charts say, but they have to advise appropriately as it can indicate a problem if they're not gaining weight like they 'should'. They did make a point of saying there is probably nothing to worry about to be fair, it's just me over thinking things, the joys of parenthood.

trashcanjunkie Thu 03-Dec-15 00:40:40

I'm sure the charts are based on formula fed babies. I might be wrong, but she sounds just perfect! Remember some babies will drop centiles until they find their place, just as some leap up through them!

DoodleCat Thu 03-Dec-15 00:43:28

Perfect! In my opinion I wouldn't worry. Happy baby is what we want!

chandeliertinseltwirler Thu 03-Dec-15 01:07:05

Sounds like she's doing well and you're doing a fab job too OP flowers Have a look at these charts which are based on BF babies. I started plotting my DD's weight on these when I realised that she was "dropping through the centiles" of the "usual" charts.

FWIW, she was 50th centile born and now happily coasts on the 0.4th-2nd. She's just small... but was born HUGE cos I grow 'em big!

imwithspud Thu 03-Dec-15 09:30:59

Thanks for the replies everyone! She was born 1lb heavier than her sister who is very petite. I'm thinking she's just evening out a bit. Will take her to the gp next week but even the hv said he will probably say there's nothing to worry about.

youlemming Thu 03-Dec-15 22:07:04

I could almost have written your post!
DD2 is 4m and born 4oz bigger than DD1 but is now 1lb lighter.
Both bf and very similar routine of feeding and sleeping so I think DD2 is just going to be generally smaller.
She happy, alert and wriggles a lot rolling since 13 wks so probably burns it off rather than laying down any fat.
HV has said not to worry as long as she's putting weight on and is well they are happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now