Talk

Advanced search

3 YO DD with smelly groin

(19 Posts)
RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 18:06:14

My DD has a bit of a smelly vagina/vulva area at the end of each day.

It's a bit pink, but not abnormally I don't think. She says it isn't sore or itchy, and there's no discharge, no problem with weeing.
She is in cotton pants during the day, and a nappy overnight. Bathed each night, previously just in water, but I started using in perfumed soap - it hasn't seemed to make it worse or better.

Is this normal? It's not a horrid smell, but a bit belly buttony, and I'm not experienced enough in the ways of small girls to know...

RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 20:06:41

Hopeful bump?

Ellsbells32 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:10:03

I hope you get an answer because my little one is like that. I now use proper vaginal soap that's pH neutral. It seems to be worse if she has a couple of accidents and I think it's because she slightly wees herself and the smell is from that. She isn't in nappies at night and I don't put any knickers on her

TheOnlyColditz Tue 01-Dec-15 20:11:40

Stop using perfumed soap, it's not good for her privates. I would shift the bath to the morning, so she starts each day fresh and soaked in nappy wee.

RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 20:17:09

Sorry, that should have read unperfumed soap - the thought of a perfumed one is making me itch just imagining it!

Morning bath could be the way forward, though I suspect she'll fight it!

Ellsbells- glad I'm not the only one! It has only developed since she's been out of nappies in the day, so could be pee/wiping related

RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 21:15:45

Anybody else have any ideas?

Fugghetaboutit Tue 01-Dec-15 21:17:15

What product do you use?

pookamoo Tue 01-Dec-15 21:17:52

We use reusable wipes in the bathroom for a "bottom wash". Just a pile of flannels that go straight into the laundry. I just use warm water on them, for DDs 7 and 4 - it is usually just because of poor wiping.

llhj Tue 01-Dec-15 21:20:12

I think that's normal isn't it? Don't we all have a bit of a whiff at the end of the day? Why would it be smelling sweet?

adagio Tue 01-Dec-15 21:21:43

My almost three year old is a full time nursery toddler, I assumed it was to do with the overnight pull up coupled with crap at wiping (even when she remembers to try I am not convinced she actually wipes her bum, although her buttocks get a good polish grin)

If you find a solution do come back and share - but it won't be morning baths in this house, have enough trouble getting us all out in time for work as it is!

RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 21:41:23

Thanks all! It's a bar of simple we're currently using - morning flannels may well be a more feasible option for getting out of the house.

Llhj- it might be normal, tbh I'll be glad if it is, I was just concerned that I was in some way neglecting something. As an idea of the smell level, when she comes in and takes her clothes off (a compulsory action as soon as she's in the door smile ) I can smell her when she's sitting on the floor and I'm standing within a metre of her.
(Disclaimer - I'm currently pregnant and smelling is my superpower at the moment, so...)

llhj Tue 01-Dec-15 21:51:46

Is it her knickers rather than her? What's the wiping like?

Artandco Tue 01-Dec-15 21:58:31

I would also get her to use something else apart form toilet roll. Mine use reusable wipes still we had since nappy days. Just a box with water and chamomile in, then pile of wipes so they all get damp like a wet wipe.
I think they wipe better now as have been trained a few years but def at 2-3 years I wanted them to wipe with water and cloth as cleaned far better

RockCrushesLizard Tue 01-Dec-15 22:12:15

Definitely her, though her knickers also have the smell after.

Wiping wise, if it's pee, she has a go then I wipe, if poo, I wipe with baby wipes. It is worse on nursery days, so possibly there is less diligent wiping there...

pookamoo Wed 02-Dec-15 14:36:26

DD2 is just 4 and has been at preschool for a year. They let them wipe themselves if they have had a wee.

RockCrushesLizard Wed 02-Dec-15 16:43:32

That might well be a contributing factor - thank you

Adelecarberry87 Wed 02-Dec-15 17:56:31

Could be an indication of a water infection. I would try and get a water sample and submit to the doctors. Avoid perfumed body washes and stick to products such as johnsons baby wash. Sounds like she could be get irriated by the perfumed soaps which can affect the ph balance and also cause water infections.

RockCrushesLizard Wed 02-Dec-15 18:34:04

I wondered if it might be an infection - I've never had a UTI, so I don't really know how they present.

I never use perfumed products on her - I agree it seems like a recipe for disaster! It's always been baby wash or soap.

Adelecarberry87 Wed 02-Dec-15 19:30:26

I know my daughter just had one at shes 2years old. Its worth checking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now