Talk

Advanced search

First night without dummy...

(10 Posts)
Bugaboom Fri 27-Nov-15 20:54:44

So finally with ds 3.4 years old the dummies have been ditched. A letter from dummy fairy this morning (and talking about it for last week or so to prepare him), all the dummies have been put in an envelope and a toy will be here in the morning. He's been quite excited by it all. So he would usually have been asleep for an hour by now but is still awake. He's not crying just can't seem to fall asleep. We're checking on him every 5 to 10 min mainly to reassure and stop him getting out of bed. I know it's to be expected that there's some adjustment but most threads I read made it sound like a breeze! Any experience or tips? I feel a bit sorry for him. I guess he just needs to learn a new way to sleep. Just as I typed that my dh has brought him downstairs. Could be a long evening!

PacificDogwod Fri 27-Nov-15 20:58:29

DS1 aka DummyAddict only ditched his when he was 4, but here goes:

He had to be reminded that his dummy was gone and then was fine.

Could you maybe not check on him as often, or would he get up?

You know he'll get there - there's very few 16 year olds who still use a dummy winkgrin

Bugaboom Fri 27-Nov-15 21:03:00

He keeps getting up! He had a nap on the go today which he wouldn't usually have. He hasn't asked for dummy but keeps saying it's hard to fall asleep. He's also going through a bit of a phase of saying he wants to come in our bed (not helped by a 10 month old cot-hating sister). He's up again now. X

PacificDogwod Fri 27-Nov-15 21:38:43

Aw, I hope he settles and the night won't be too long wine

Bugaboom Fri 27-Nov-15 21:44:27

He's asleep. Had to lie with him and whisper the same story repeatedly. Thanks for replying pacific. I'm downing a glass of wine before dd wakes!

Bugaboom Sat 28-Nov-15 07:40:08

Well he woke at 2 distraught at no dummy. Had to come into our bed where he slept. Woke up in a foul mood until he was reminded of his present. Which amused him for a bit but he's really overtired so constantly on verge of tears. I'm thinking maybe a week for him to get used to things? Somebody say less than that please

NickNacks Sat 28-Nov-15 07:42:40

It was 3 nights for us before they stopped asking for it. However they didn't have too much trouble falling asleep and didn't wake in the night. Good luck.

daluze Sat 28-Nov-15 20:54:26

It took 3 nights for my 2 year old. Secons and third were the worst (sorry!), but afterwards for a while he would just say in the evenings "dummy gone" and would go to bed without it. It was very hard when he cried and I felt so mean, but actually his sleep improved without dummies (because he would not get up at 5am to look for a lost dummy)

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 28-Nov-15 20:59:01

How is he tonight?

Bugaboom Sat 28-Nov-15 23:33:57

He went down much easier. Asked for dummy once and I reminded him about fairy. I stayed and whispered stories when I turned the lights off buy it only took 5 minutes. Fingers crossed he's. OK in middle of night tonight. Thanks for sharing your stories

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now