Talk

Advanced search

Nursery and Formula

(20 Posts)
BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 20:43:13

DD is nearly 11 months and about to start nursery. On a visit I think the way the manager described making bottles I'm not happy with (previously boiled water). Obviously I'll double check whether I heard correctly and so if they make them this way should I:

Let them do it that way and not cause a drama

Send in ready made a even though they don't seem to agree well with DD (God the nappies envy)

Move her to cows milk early

I'm inclined to go with the ready mades and just deal with the aftermath of the nappies. Am I being too PFB?

dementedpixie Fri 27-Nov-15 21:01:48

What hours will she be there? At that age mine had just 2 milk feeds - am and before bed.

LillyBugg Fri 27-Nov-15 21:04:37

Option 4, tell them to do it properly! Seriously not PFB. They should be aware how to safely make bottles. You shouldn't have to make changes which don't agree with your daughter as a result of their poor practice. I know it's hard to confront but when it comes to childcare you will have to stand your ground.

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:04:22

She's doing 8-6. Only this week has she gone down from 4 to 3 feeds

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:05:53

I think if she was younger lilly I would but I'm thinking to myself well it'll only be a month then she'll be on cows milk.

dementedpixie Fri 27-Nov-15 21:07:02

How many feeds will they need to give? You could also provide ready prepared bottles of formula to put in the fridge as long as they were made up with hot water, cooled quickly and put in the fridge

Twistedheartache Fri 27-Nov-15 21:08:43

I know it's not ideal but I make the night before & keep it in the fridge.
My dd is nearly 13 months & doesn't always have a bottle first thing but has 1.5 at nursery (other 0.5 in breakfast) & 1 at bed time. Keep meaning to start switching over fully to cow's milk and forgetting.

dementedpixie Fri 27-Nov-15 21:09:40

From nhs website:
What if I need to transport a made-up feed?

If it isn't possible to follow the advice above, or if you need to transport a feed (for example, to a nursery),prepare the feed at home and cool it for at least one hour in the back of the fridge.

Take it out of the fridge just before you leave and carry it in a cool bag with an ice pack, and use it within four hours. If you do not have an ice pack, or access to a fridge, the made-up infant formula must be used within two hours.

If made-up formula is stored in a fridge, use within 24 hours.If made-up formula is stored in a cool bag with an ice pack, use withinfour hours.If made-up formula is stored at room temperature, use withintwo hours.

LillyBugg Fri 27-Nov-15 21:09:47

My DS wouldn't take cows milk straight away, it took me 6 weeks of slowly watering down formula with cows milk to switch him. Just worth bearing in mind it might not be that simple.

Or you might have an easy child and she'll take it immediately!

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:11:10

I admit I don't do it perfectly and I do use the fridge but once they're out they'll need to be used within 2 hours (or 4 with an ice pack) so if we leave at 730 a bottle will only be good till 1130

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:37

Ah cross post there with pixie

True lilly no guarantee she'll be happy with cows.

Think ready made is the way to go

drspouse Fri 27-Nov-15 21:12:46

The NHS advice is within 24h if in a fridge. I assume it doesn't take you 2 hours to get to nursery...

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:14:16

No but once it's out then the clock ticks surely? She won't be having it at 930

LillyBugg Fri 27-Nov-15 21:19:58

I used to transfer made up bottles in a cool bag and then into a fridge and let DS have it after more than two hours. If the milk remains cool then that should be fine? Formula storage is so controversial I know though. And also my nursery wouldn't accept ready made bottles from me (as in I'd made the bottle at home), I had to supply the bottle and milk powder in a storage pot. But I knew they were making milk safely so I guess it didn't matter.

I think OP double check how they are making milk. It would be surprising if they are not following proper safety guidelines.

drspouse Fri 27-Nov-15 21:20:41

But it doesn't tick to two/four hours as if you'd left it on the countertop the whole time, I assume it resets to 24h minus the time it's been out, once it's back in the fridge. Or use a cool pack.

BlueThursday Fri 27-Nov-15 21:21:48

Yeah I'll definitely double check

Sorry I think my terminology is confusing. By ready made I mean the packages ready to feeds

LillyBugg Fri 27-Nov-15 21:23:09

Yes sorry I think that's me being confusing, you were perfectly clear! Nursery would accept the ready made, pre packed bottles but wouldn't accept bottles I had made with powder at home and subsequently cooled. They were really strict about milk.

Aciderwouldbenice Fri 27-Nov-15 21:38:17

I make one fresh just before I leave on a morning and tell nursery what time it is ok to drink until (he normally has it straight away though), then i also pack a clean bottle and a carton of ready to drink formula for the afternoon.
This is working well.

dementedpixie Fri 27-Nov-15 21:39:56

If it is transported for a short while in a cool bag with an ice pack then it will be perfectly fine to go in the fridge to be used at some point that same day

Norfolknway Fri 27-Nov-15 21:42:33

Just get some cartons. Saves a lot of worry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now