Talk

Advanced search

Giving dummies as part of a newborn present?

(28 Posts)
pjsgalore Fri 27-Nov-15 12:41:48

I'm going to see my new niece for the first time this weekend - and have made her up a package of lovely things - some pretty, some useful.

Anyway, I happen to have some spare newborn dummies left over from ages ago (still in packaging) as both of mine used dummies. My sister-in-law (we get on very well) strikes me as someone who may not like dummies, but I was wondering if I should take them down anyway for her to put in her cupboard in case she decides to try. Or do you think it seems kind of pushy or somehow encouraging her into a habit she may not want - or something!!? Otherwise may just chuck them out! Or take to charity shop

twinkletoedelephant Fri 27-Nov-15 12:47:13

Me and dh were not going to give dd a dummy at all........after her screaming from 6 hours at 3am we found one in a gift set someone had bought us we gave it to her and she fell straight to sleep.... I am still very fond of the person that gave it to us :-)

PurpleTreeFrog Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:12

I'd chuck them in and just say "you might not need them" so they don't feel like you're expecting them to use them.

DH put some dummies in my Christmas stocking when I was pregnant. I scoffed because I hates dummies. Was very thankful for it when baby arrived though!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:59

Neither of my DCs have taken a dummy so it's one of those things that suits different babies I guess. It wouldn't be a problem as part of a present of various bits though, then the option is there if her baby does need a dummy

3sugarsplease Fri 27-Nov-15 12:52:26

Me and DP had no intention of using dummies with DS however we were bought some when he was born... I wasn't offended..

I tried to give him a dummy when he had been screaming non stop and he still refused it. I was at least grateful we had one in the house to try!

spondulix Fri 27-Nov-15 12:54:52

I'd out them in. I probably seemed like a non dummy person but dd1 was a very sucky baby and ended up with one. If she's a sensible person she's probably realised that with babies you just never know!

Suzy4321 Sat 28-Nov-15 16:39:49

I think everyone says " I'm not using a dummy" then after a while some of us give in. I lasted 6 weeks adament baby girl not having a dummy then broke! If I was you give them as its their choice if to use them. I know if I have another baby it's coming to the hospital with me.

TesticleOfObjectivity Sat 28-Nov-15 19:12:09

Our sil did a similar package for us and there were dummies in there. I'm not against dummies but not particularly keen on them either. I certainly wasn't against trying them (though turned out dd wasn't interested ). I certainly wasn't offended by their inclusion, it's a lovely, thoughtful gift.

TesticleOfObjectivity Sat 28-Nov-15 19:13:11

Sorry for all the certainly's in that post. You can't say I'm not sure!

lunar1 Sat 28-Nov-15 19:19:12

Offer them separately to the gift.

ExitStageLeft Sat 28-Nov-15 19:23:53

Take them and just say, these were mine but I didn't use them, up to you if you want to chuck them in a cupboard or in the bin - won't be offended either way.

I practically spat my drink across the room when my best friend bought me some dummies for DD who was my second child. A dummy? Good heavens no! MY children don't have dummies! Heavens to Betsy, how absurd.

A few weeks in when she had officially broken me it got stuffed right in her mouth. And 16 months on its still in there at bedtime and I give not a shiny shit.

spaceyboo Sat 28-Nov-15 19:24:06

Medical advice now seems to be in favour of dummies - you could just pop them in & see what she says

VikingLady Sat 28-Nov-15 19:26:38

I'd put them in but tell her that you won't take it personally if she regifts anything.

I was rabidly anti dummy with DD but then DS was very sicky and a very kind friend lent me one so I could try it.

SpendSpendSpend Sat 28-Nov-15 19:26:23

I would put them in. I bought a 2 pack dummies before dd was born. Dh was very anti dummy! However i washed and sterilised them a few days before dd was born and left them on the side.

10 days old and dd would not stop crying. Dh came rushing downstairs in a frenzy saying where are those dummies you bought???

He popped one in her mouth and bliss! He was very worried about them though and asked was i 100% certain she could have it by herself to sleep with!

DurhamDurham Sat 28-Nov-15 19:26:41

Neither of my two girls had dummies, I wouldn't have thanked anyone for giving me some as part of a present. If the parents de de they want is they can buy some, they aren't exactly pricey.

Trinpy Sat 28-Nov-15 19:35:56

I think its fine to put them in with everything else. I was very anti dummies and wasn't the least bit offended when some friends included a dummy they didn't use for their baby in a new baby gift bag, (and I was eternally grateful to them 5 weeks later when I needed a dummy asap!).

ExitStageLeft Sat 28-Nov-15 19:39:55

Calm down Durham, it's only a dummy. It would have been your choice whether you used it.

DurhamDurham Sat 28-Nov-15 19:50:58

I am calm I just dislike dummies and wouldn't thank anyone for one, especially as part of a present. As I said in my post.

ExitStageLeft Sat 28-Nov-15 19:54:28

Couldn't you have just said thank you and then not used it....wink

DurhamDurham Sat 28-Nov-15 20:04:12

I suppose I could but my family and fiends didn't presume to give me one so all was well wink

ExitStageLeft Sat 28-Nov-15 20:05:38

THANKFULLY!

Crazypetlady Sat 28-Nov-15 22:57:25

I would include them. There is no need for snobbery about dummies. I didn't want them for ds dp got some anyway in case. I was so glad he did.

Dixiechick17 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:44:30

I was massively anti dummies, but at four days old when my nipples needed a break for ten minutes after a lot of comfort suckling I gave in.

I wouldn't be offended if someone gifted them to me. They are actually recommended for formula fed babies now.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 29-Nov-15 10:47:30

I used a dummy but I'd leave them out. You could perhaps offer them separately?

SarahSavesTheDay Sun 29-Nov-15 10:52:18

I don't understand the controversy around dummies for babies (I get it for older toddlers, though).

Newborns want to suck all the time. They are practical indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now