Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

how often do you bath your dc?

(77 Posts)
buddhasbelly Tue 24-Nov-15 20:43:23

My dd is 20months old. I'm a single working parent (part time working 3 days a week) and on the days where I'm working I go to the gym after work whilst dd is looked after by my parents.

On these days, by the time we get home and I look at the housework still to be done I just have no energy to do bath time and just make sure dd is relatively clean looking, milk, teeth and then bed.

My dm thinks this is rather terrible shock and I'm putting dd out of her routine never mind that I am shattered

DD doesn't see her dad - he's not interested, so my respite time is my gym nights so pretty much just put myself first for that hour. Will not bathing her really be so terrible as my dm thinks? grin

BlueBananas Tue 24-Nov-15 20:45:42

Oh we haven't had one of this threads for ages!
brew anyone?

Believeitornot Tue 24-Nov-15 20:46:53

You could go to the gym at a different time?

We bathe our DCs every other day as no good for their skin but give them a good clean in between. As they get older ill shower them in the morning

Nel1975 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:47:20

My dc are 15 months and 3 years, they have a shower every 2nd or 3rd night.

tekeo Tue 24-Nov-15 20:47:33

As long as your dd has no trouble getting to sleep due to the change in her routine then I see no problem at all! I too skip bathtime a couple of times a week and my dd still manages to go down without problem.

I think your dm is overreacting. And she could do bathtime when you're at the gym if she's so concerned about it!

RachelZoe Tue 24-Nov-15 20:50:05

It depends, are those 3 consecutive days without a bath?

If not, then it's fine really at that age I think. Teeth are more important, I always prioritized them over a wash.

Whaleshark Tue 24-Nov-15 20:51:35

At that age I used to bath DS two or three times a week. Never seemed to do him any harm. If it works for you, I can't see a problem with it at all.

Ragwort Tue 24-Nov-15 20:55:38

If it bothers your mother so much, just tell her 'of course DD has a bath every evening'.

I (or DH) did bath our DS every day, but I was a SAHM and to be honest it was just 'something to do' rather than because he needed a bath. better than sitting in front of chidren's tv.

ftmsoon Tue 24-Nov-15 20:58:41

DD is 18 months. Gets a shower with me once a week and some weeks a bath at MIL's, but not every week.

ameliajayne Tue 24-Nov-15 20:58:33

I don't bath nine every day unless they really need a bath. Usually its every other day here.

unicorn501 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:59:17

When DC1 was an only... Every day.
When DC2 came along... Every other day.
Now that I'm a single parent who works full time... about twice a week. Hairwash once a week!

ilovehotsauce Tue 24-Nov-15 20:59:53

You are a single parent, give yourself a break & enjoy your gym time. She will not be harmed by not having a bath 3 nights a week.

wine

MeredithShepherd Tue 24-Nov-15 21:02:03

Every other day here! I'm also a single parent who works 3 days a week with a 21 month old DS. I work Tues wed Thurs and I tend to bath him mon wed Fri. An hour at the gym 3 nights a week sounds like heaven!!

Paddingtonthebear Tue 24-Nov-15 21:02:40

Mine is 3yrs old and has bath ever other night, generally. She goes to nursery two days in a row and tends to get more grubby there so often has a bath on both of those days. it was about twice a week when she was a small baby and then gradually went to every other day.

UnlikelyPilgramage Tue 24-Nov-15 21:03:19

Every day - well, shower.

buddhasbelly Tue 24-Nov-15 21:06:37

Rachelzoe not 3 consecutive days no, I work day on/day off and off weekends.

Yes when I pick her up from dparents I may just say "right home for a bath" when dd is out of sight.

DM is one of those people that if you had broken leg she would have two (she is still a very good grandmother but DF is far more hands on). When I explained to her that I'm too bloody shattered to do the bath routine when getting home she said along the lines of "oh yes well I was always tired when you were young but I still managed" or words to that effect.

I try to point out that the situations are somewhat different in that I am a single parent to which she responded "yes but your father was often working late when you were young" hmm yes so of course that's the same...

I'll stick to what we're doing, she still goes down to sleep at the same time every night and doesn't pong too much grin

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 24-Nov-15 21:06:38

twice a week on average. DS's are 9 and 5

hazeyjane Tue 24-Nov-15 21:08:11

dd2 usually has a bath every day as it helps her eczema
dd1 about 3 times a week
ds.......the less said about ds and baths the better (hands have been thrown up in horror on other bathing threads)

if your dd is happy and cleanish then don't fret.

luckiestgirlintheworld Tue 24-Nov-15 21:08:28

DS1 every day- he's nearly 2.

DS2 once every three weeks ish. He's nearly 4 months.

DS1 loves it as part of his bedtime routine with DH. We try not to use product every day but he does get pretty filthy.

DS2 just cries so I only do him when he starts to smell.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 24-Nov-15 21:09:12

just lie. Much easier all round. God I hate a competitive parent....I have one of my own

buddhasbelly Tue 24-Nov-15 21:09:55

I would chuck her in the shower with me (wash my hair the night before to save time in the morning) but our bathroom is being redone and we only have a bath at the moment.

Meridith the gym is my saviour! I actually posted recently about a business competition that I'd entered (an won an award at yay!) about opening a gym with a crèche - looking to move the idea forward in the coming weeks derails thread

Jw35 Tue 24-Nov-15 21:10:23

Dd1 age 12 every other night. Baby 11 months every night as part of her wind down routine

I think it's fine what you're doing

buddhasbelly Tue 24-Nov-15 21:11:19

hazeyjane I'm intrigued now! luckiest I have a vision of you picking up ds2 and giving him a sniff

Twistedheartache Tue 24-Nov-15 21:13:58

DD1 (4.9) every other night, Dd2 (13 months) the same unless she's too tired after nursery and then she skips it.
Flannel & baby wipes do the trick on non bath nights

winchester1 Tue 24-Nov-15 21:14:58

Once a week (10 months and 2.3yrs) they are screamers and fighters over baths and esp hair washing! (we tried more frequent/showers/paddling pool/swimming -,you name it). No harm has come to them and nursery generally comment on how good their skin is and how nice their hair is so I'm not worry about it for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now