Talk

Advanced search

what to do about a visitor who smokes

(5 Posts)
bunny85 Sun 22-Nov-15 05:04:10

Hi all,

I had my first baby 8 days ago, and there have been few people who came to visit us. We don't smoke. One of my partner's relatives is also willing to come soon with his wife, and he is very welcome but I'm very concerned as he smokes a lot. We were told from many midwifes that if anyone who smokes wants to come near/hold the baby they should stay away from cigarettes for 3 hours. We wouldn't want to openly ask him to do that since he's got 2 children himself and I doubt he does this 3 hour thing with them. I'm really concerned. Wwyd?

Thanks!

frillybiscuits Sun 22-Nov-15 06:17:21

Explain third hand smoke to them and if he really can't stick to that then don't let him hold the baby if it makes you feel uncomfortable. My mum is a heavy smoker, has been smoking for well over 25 years but she can manage to go without all day whilst being around her baby nephew. She's getting an ecig as I'm expecting her first grandchild so if she has her overnight using an ecig outside will cause no harm.

Maybe suggest temporary use of those one use ecigs you can buy in supermarkets if he's really desperate? But make sure he uses it outside as nobody's really sure what's in them yet so might not be safe for baby to breathe in. Hope that helps smile

Baconyum Sun 22-Nov-15 06:31:31

I've parents who smoke heavily. Just tell him. 'If you want to hold baby you need to not smoke for a few hours' not the end of the world for him. Your baby your rules.

bunny85 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:27:57

Thank you both. Sorry just a silly question - if this man comes over, but just stays near the baby without holding him, does this also pose a risk to the baby, or as long as e doesn't touch him it's harmless?

manana21 Sun 22-Nov-15 09:03:42

Now resonant I wouldn't worry if he's not touching the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now