Talk

Advanced search

Car seat confusion (1 year old baby)

(24 Posts)
EdnaGold Fri 20-Nov-15 14:01:49

Hi there- Despite doing lots of reading on the internet I'm still confised by child car seat options/guidelines.

We are about to buy a 2007 toyota aygo which does not have ISOfix in the back of it. Our 1 year old daughter will be picked up and dropped off from childcare in it.

Without ISOfix- what is the safest way of her travelling in the back of the car? As she's over 1 year old her Maxicosi Pebble needs updating soon. However I can't seem to find hardly any car seats for a 1yr old that doesn't need ISOfix.

Are there any bases for car seats that dont require ISOfix? I'm worried that JUST using the seatbelts for an older child is a bit risky. Her Pebble only used seat belts but she was quite small then. And lots of the little car seats can just use seat belts. It seems like the bigger ones ALL need an isofix base.

Any help appreciated!!

worldgonecrazy Fri 20-Nov-15 14:05:34

The In Car Safety Centre are happy to give advice over the phone. Some of the available seats are here. Though they have isofix fittings, they can also be used without them. Give them a call to chat through options.

BarleysFiddle Fri 20-Nov-15 14:07:02

DD has a Britax Evolva 123 which doesn't require ISOFix and is secured using the seat belt. You would have to check the Britax site though to ensure that it will fit your car.

EdnaGold Fri 20-Nov-15 14:08:11

Oh great thanks I'd not heard of them- will give them a call for non-seat belt but non isofix options!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 20-Nov-15 14:13:15

We have a britax evolva 1-2-3 with a funky giraffe cover.
Bought it as dd got too tall for her eclipse (insurance claim, so looked at long term option).

The 1-2-3 is good, but if your little one sleeps in the car, you might prefer a recline option?

The britax eclipse we had was great (but chunky).

There are quite a few brands that don't use isofix on all their models. Go in to a big mothercare or similar. They will show you some options. Explain the benefits of each. Let you try your child for fit/comfort in the seat in the shop. And they often have a demo seat they will test in your car in their carpark.

PennyHasNoSurname Fri 20-Nov-15 14:15:02

I have th Britax Two Way Elite which doesnt use isofix, and is suitable rear facing to around 4yo/25kg.

Love it. In Car Safety Centre a good place to call definetly.

Sairelou Fri 20-Nov-15 14:16:12

The Joie stages is a fab seatbelt fitted one, and a reasonable price too.

By the way, there is no difference between the safety of isofix and seatbelt fitted seats. It is just that with isofix there is less room for error with installation.

KissingFish Fri 20-Nov-15 14:25:53

Are you sure it doesn't have ISOfix?

EdnaGold Fri 20-Nov-15 15:18:16

Fabulous thank you for all the recommendations!

I'm not 100% it doesnt have ISOfix but its only a certain model of Aygo that does and this one isnt that model.

EdnaGold Fri 20-Nov-15 15:19:53

Also had anyone heard it might be law soon that you have to have Isofix?

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Nov-15 16:43:55

Britax first class plus rear faces for a good while longer than the baby in a bucket type car seats and uses a seatbelt to fasten into the car. Mine are long since past that stage now so I forget what goes to what weight these days but it's fairly easily found online. We used infant carrier > britax first class rear facing > britax first class forward facing with both of ours.

Whatthequack Fri 20-Nov-15 17:11:40

I have this

www.mothercare.com/Maxi-Cosi-Tobi-Car-Seat---Black-Crystal/701304,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Car+Seats-_-Shopping+-+Car+Seats-_-Maxi+Cosi+-+Maxi-Cosi+Tobi+Car+Seat+-+Black+Crystal&gclid=CKP89Oy-n8kCFaHbcgodrGUNmQ

It's easy and fast to secure into place. It also has red to green sensor on the belt to let you know if you have secured the straps tight enough.

switswoo81 Fri 20-Nov-15 18:36:36

We got isofix points fitted to husbands ford focus for 30 euro. Just an option?

Daffydil Fri 20-Nov-15 18:43:51

We have the Britax Maxway belted into the back of our car. It's very secure. DS has been in it for 2 years now, and is likely to be in it for another one.

www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/max-way/

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 20-Nov-15 19:08:51

Switswoo who did you get to retrofit isofix points fitted?

OP I have a 59 plate car that doesn't have iso fix either. There are belted seats out there. I was in John lewis getting an some of the makes/model names to check out but baby brain means I've forgotten them shock
All I can remember is that joie, mothercare and maxi cosi do do one.

I'm going to check out this in car safety centre place.

BBQueen Fri 20-Nov-15 19:12:19

I think that the seats that can fit with isofix also have a seatbelt fitting option.

switswoo81 Fri 20-Nov-15 19:22:34

Comeagain I'm in Ireland but the local ford dealer did it in twenty minutes. Think you can also order parts to do it yourself but wanted it to be totally safe

purpleme12 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:39:49

There are lots of car seats without isofix - we don't have isofix in our car.

We got this one

www.mothercare.com/Britax-First-Class-Plus-Combination-Car-Seat---Grey/607491,default,pd.html#q=Britax%20First%20Class%20Car%20Seats

although it doesn't fit in all cars so you'd have to check

Catscatsandmorecats Sat 21-Nov-15 06:29:42

We don't have isofix and also have stupidly shirt seatbelts! We ended up with a maxi cosi tobi. It is great, really really secure, so much so that it feels like a part of the car. And DS seems to like it too. We got help fitting it at John Lewis, they were brilliant and so helpful.

I am sure you'll find something smile

superbfairywren Mon 23-Nov-15 07:50:18

Can't recommend the in car safety centre enough! If you can't get them( they are in Belfast, Milton Keynes and Essex somewhere) email or phone them and they will give you some advice.

We have a britax two way elite which rearfaces up to around 6years and can also be used forward facing. It's secured with a seatbelt and tethers and so far its been brilliant, we acheive a good recline for naps in the car even In quite a tight space and still plenty of leg room for passenger. The seatbelt fitting is really secure too.

skankingpiglet Mon 23-Nov-15 09:11:44

Another one here singing the praises of the in car safety centre! I have a transit and it was a nightmare finding a seat which fit once DD outgrew her carrier. I tried several big shops before I discovered them. Very helpful and knowledgeable, and a huge range of seats.

Allyoucaneat Mon 23-Nov-15 09:25:51

We have a maxi cosi proiri xp which isn't isofix. It's suitable from approx 9months to 4yrs.

YBR Mon 23-Nov-15 13:21:28

Isofix is the best way to secure a car seat, but is not the only way. There are definitely options which have both isofix and seatbelt fittings.
DD2's carseat (which us huge and heavy and was expensive) we use with the isofix in our car but usually with seatbelt on the rare occasions it needs to be in someone else's.
I suggest you keep your options open and consider things that have Isofix but Don't Require it.

I can't imagine it being law that you must use Isofix, there are all kinds of reasons why it is impracticable and unenforceable, but it might become law that (1) new cars must have isofix fittings and/or (2)new car seats must have isofix connections.

knittingbee Mon 23-Nov-15 15:38:56

Our Maxi Cosi Axxis doesn't have Isofix, it attaches by the seatbelt. And it is excellent for ease of getting baby in and out as it spins round. It's not rear facing though, so depends if that's what you're after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now