Talk

Advanced search

Explaining terrorism to a child

(6 Posts)
Weareallmadeofstars Thu 19-Nov-15 09:11:04

Hi, this morning my daughter, who is nearly 5, saw coverage of the terror attacks in Paris on the news. She understood from the article that something bad had happened and people had died and was asking me what had happened and why. I explained that some people had been hurt by some bad people and the police were going to catch them. She seemed satisfied with that.
I try to avoid her seeing/hearing about things like that because I don't want her scared but with so much going on at the moment it's hard to avoid.
Has anyone else had to explain anything like this to a child? What did you say?

howtorebuild Thu 19-Nov-15 09:17:27

I always liked the Harry Potter film scene where Sirius explained to Harry we are shades of grey. Can't you give examples and then explain some are very light, others dark?

lougle Thu 19-Nov-15 09:23:31

I told my children that some people think that other people should do what they say, and then if they don't, they hurt them. Just as in WW2 Hitler wanted to take land and make everyone follow his way, then killed those who wouldn't, ISIS believe that everyone should follow their way.

I don't think the concept is too far away from bullying.

TweeterandtheMonkeyman Thu 19-Nov-15 17:55:07

My 5 year old seems unaware of it ..but we spent the last couple of weeks extensively discussing wearing poppies/remembering the dead/concept of a "world war" etc and I would be comfortable explaining the Paris attacks to her in simplified terms that she would understand. However, I don't think I am going to bring it up with her (although I trust her school to cover it appropriately, am slightly surprised they haven't as yet), just don't think it's vital knowledge for a 5 year old. And I doubt many of us discuss the many recent acts of terrorism/ war happening further afield than Paris with our children.

I like both the pp's ways of approaching smile

Also, I think children feel anxious when they sense anxiety in us so unless you feel you can discuss it without getting too emotional I would leave it for a while longer.

Weareallmadeofstars Fri 20-Nov-15 10:30:57

Thank you for your replies, you have all been helpful. Howtorebuild I like the HP idea smile
I explained remembrance day as 'a thank you to the soldiers who have kept the country safe'. Next year I think she'll be ready for a more in depth explanation.

twins2004 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:16:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now