Talk

Advanced search

urgent advice! should I cancel flight if baby is unwell?!

(9 Posts)
cosmicdancer89 Thu 19-Nov-15 06:28:33

Hi all,

So I have a flight booked today to go back home to visit my family for 3 weeks, however, LO literally just last night starting coughing this awful cough and has a temp raise to 37,8. Gave calpol and he's been passed out since but..obviously very concerned! I think it may be a mild flu/cold, he's had a runny nose for a few days but no signs of cough or temperature til last night.

I'm paranoid being on a plane will hurt him or make him worse. We could see a doctor when there etc., so that's not the issue. It's a 2.5 hr flight. LO is 6 months old. Should I cancel? Will it be a disastrous trip? Or should I keep giving calpol and risk it? Iuuuffffff I don't know what to dooooo sad

wannabestressfree Thu 19-Nov-15 06:32:33

I would still go. Take calopol with you and lots of fluids. It's only a short flight and family can help you if baby is poorly....

confusedandemployed Thu 19-Nov-15 06:33:40

How long is the flight?

Tbh I'd probably be going unless LO gets worse. Calpol them up and bring baby Nurofen too which you can alternate if necessary.

confusedandemployed Thu 19-Nov-15 06:34:40

That'll teach me not to read the OP thoroughly. Yeah, I'd definitely still go.

RomComPhooey Thu 19-Nov-15 06:38:31

If he is sinusy or has any ear infection going on, I would imagine the cabin pressure would be very, very uncomfortable, even painful, for him. He could end up screaming in pain for the whole flight. I wouldn't risk it - babies can also become seriously unwell very quickly.

You also run the risk they'll notice how poorly he is at check in/boarding and refuse to let you on the flight anyway - the last thing they want is to have to divert a flight to deal with a medical emergency.

Stirling84 Thu 19-Nov-15 06:52:26

37.8 is not a fever.

Stirling84 Thu 19-Nov-15 06:53:30

Have lots of fluid, a sling and Calpol & go an enjoy your hols.

cosmicdancer89 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:08:36

Thanks all for advice. The ear thing is my biggest concern. I'm looking into flights for Monday just to get him to recover a little bit over the weekend, since he only just started being unwell yesterday I don't wanna drag him all miserable through the faff that is the airport etc...
Joys of having children! Nothing ever goes to plan smile

LyndaNotLinda Thu 19-Nov-15 07:15:28

A temp of less than 38 is not a fever and not going to lead to an onboard medical emergency. Feed him on take off and landing to equalise his ear pressure.

Have a lovely visit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now